Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ranks and Titles, Where Egos Roam.




      Ahh, Ranks and Titles...a world where Ego reigns supreme. In the military it is quite simple to understand. Your responsibilities are clear cut. If your superior is down then the next in line takes over. You basically get promoted on your performance. A private is a private, with the least amount of responsibilities, per say, just listen to orders and get it done. There is always someone with higher rank monitoring you. So, a  pretty easy life (in the sense of responsibilities) You do what is demanded of you.
     Now in the martial arts, the world of rank and titles gets rather convoluted. It is a world where one day you are a student, the next day you can become a "grandmaster" of your own organization. There is no one to supervise you. Don't like the organization? You can quit and join a different one, even maybe get a higher rank. You can even outrank your former Instructor!
      I sometimes ponder over my own rank certificates. All of them are from legitimate organizations. The highest being Godan. The lowest being Sandan. Now I am not affiliated with any those organizations, I run my own non-profit club for the love of sharing what I know to others without the the politics and egos that affect many organizations. I have been very fortunate to have solid people join me and they are now continuing the Yokohama Dojo in my absence. I am also surrounded by my "Pokemons" and their loving parents here in Hawaii. So what am I,  in terms of rank and title? I do not belong to any of the organizations that honored and blessed me with their ranks and certificates. So I do not feel that I should carry that rank onto my current Dojos. However,  I am the head honcho or poopah. That is clear. Unless Yachiyo gets hungry for rank and power and overthrows me (**;)
     I am also still a student wandering the path of Budo. So in essence will always a shoshinsha or beginner. Oh well, better to just train along with my Pokemons! (^^) My title will be henceforth "Grandpa Pokemon" Hmmmm sounds a lot better than Senpai, Sensei, Shihan dai, Shihan, Kyoshi, Renshi. 
 Hey, William, your new title will be "Dr. Pokemon" ! Correction, for the time being "Intern Pokemon" You still have two years of med school left. Hurry up and graduate, I need a doctor that won't charge or ask for health insurance!!!!!
      I understand that in the past there were no rank belts in karate. The current system is based on Kano Sensei of Judo. I can understand why it was implemented, but is it really necessary? Even in Japan, it has just become a tool to charge students promotion fees and add to the Dojo or organization coffers. At the same time,  I can also understand it takes money to run an organization, especially the bigger it gets. At that stage it has become a business, you need to have an accountant to run the Dojo. I always felt that a Dojo Head should have an accountant, who is not a student, maintain the books so that the Head can concentrate on teaching. I sincerely believe that most of the problems that plague bigger or even smaller organizations is $$$ and egos. It seems as though it is always camouflaged with rhetorics of differences in philosophy or wanting to seek the true Budo, etc., etc.  Then those groups after awhile experience the same breakaways. Again the same rhetoric. Let us not fool ourselves, it is $$$ and EGOS. Things that in a perfect world should not have a place in Budo. Alas we do not live in a perfect world. But we can try.
     One thing I really do not care for is the gold striping on Black Belts. Why is there a need to advertise what Dan you are? We are never finished with our Shugyo. We are always a Shoshinsha each step of the way.
      A Black Belt, in my mind, signifies that you have just entered the long road of shugyo in your chosen art. There is no end. So, why decorate your belt? Even without a belt we know who our Senpais and Senseis are, much less the top man of the Dojo. If you do not know who the head poopah is, you're in trouble or as we say here in Hawaii "Deep Kim Chee".
    When I think of it, the civilian world is no different! Gaads, CEO, CCO, CAO, CFO, Marketing Executive, Special Assistant to the Vice President, Senior Technical Representative, Shuseki, Shunin,
Torishimariyaku, Shacho, Joseki Shingkan, etc., etc., ect., (**#) Who are you????
     Oh well, enough rambling for now. Yokohama Dojo, please use the free translator on the Internet! Don't know when I'll get to doing it! (^^)
Have a good day y'all. Still snowing in New York? How about Yokohama? Hawaii is in for some more squalls for the weekend. 
Take and his kids are prepping for a tournment coming up. Yachiyo has started weight training. 
Gaaads! I'd rather have her just use the sauna. No need to add power to punches and kicks. (**;) 
Yokohama, looking forward to an early Hanami Season opening! Have the Blue sheets ready! Shinrin Kouen or along Nakamura River by Hinode Cho? Will we have a reenactment of KyonKyon Senpais "Pe-Pe" incident at the Yakitori stand?  Ummmmm Just as BG information, our illustrious Kyon Kyon Senpai, one evening took control of a yakitori stand and did the cooking. (The owner preferred standing by and take a smoke break) "Pe-Pe" is the sound of spitting. The defense rests its case. (^^)
My mind is in Japan already!
Chugoku Shukudo, Torakichi, Seahorse, Kougen, Zucchero, Moss Burger, Sekiya!











2 comments:

  1. Roushiichi, Sorry to be away from the keyboard so long. Shihan Flynn and Sensei Flynn were kind enough to come to New York to Practice with use. I and Jen hosted Shihan Flynn, Sensei Flynn, and Sensei Dan for dinner and a over night stay. Jen did a wonderful job of readying the homestead for our guests. She says often to me that she wishes she was like Danielle, Sensei or Toni, Sensei, in that they share a love of karate with their husband. I told her the work she put in this week, means just as much to me, and shows that everything we do, is budo. She really stepped it up for me, and the school.

    The topic of Rank has been on my mind this week as well. Shoshinsha, and Shoshin no moderu are now always with me. I see that your belt is shodan, although your Ranks are much higher. Shihan Flynn as removed his gold strips from his belt, and has returned to a non dan striped belt, much like your dojo. I too would like a system of no strips. Shodan for life. It says what I am, a committed student to the art that I love to practice. I practice because I can…not even sure if I practice most days now for self-defense. (Like to think my days of being in a location that will require me to defend my family are now coming to a close) I know this might not be the case, so it does come to mind, now and then. I practice because its what I have come to love.

    I also think that we are what our students call us. That term, Sempai, Sensei..ect.. is only to those students in that dojo. Why would it carry to another location? Maybe, in time, if I teach at the new dojo, they might come to call me Sempai, Sensei…ect…but no need to look down at my belt to understand anything more than my name.. Tony . Shihan Flynn asks bow to me if I have taught you, out of respect of what I have given of myself to you, not to my strips. That kind of respect comes with time with that person(s).

    Many changes happen with time, I have been honored and blessed also with teachers, “Sensei(s)” that have given to me my skills, and my love of budo. IF they never were a dogi again, they are “Sensei” to me. My belt may change, new organizations may have new skills that I have not learned, so be it. I will learn, I will be challenged , it is my personal shugyo. It’s why I love budo, always Shoshin no moderu. If anyone or I teaches: if they give you that “ahhhh moment” in life, and you call him or her Sempai, or Sensei for that teaching, then please use that term. What a moment in life, for both you and that person. Having be honored to be on both ends of this kind of exchange in life, no colored belt in the world can ever replace that moment. You can have my strips, take my obi, but those moments, the moments that you have given of yourself to others can never be taken. Good teachers my father said are never forgotten. It’s your 自他共栄.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roushiichi, you will have to tell me more of this Pe-Pe story...I am thinking that someone had to be into the sake before or durning or after this one...

    Might this be one of the post practice meetings I am reading of in Yokohama???

    ReplyDelete