Friday, April 1, 2011

Memories of Japan Part 2

Chatan Yara Kushanku Kata by Shiga Prefecture Police Karate Club Member
      
 This Kata demo was done during my visit to meet with Inspector Tao of the Shiga Prefecture Police Mobile Investigations Division. The Kata is known as Kankudai (Sho & Dai) in Kyokushin and Shotokan styles. Tony, you will notice that The Kyokushin Version does not resemble this Shorin Ryu version much. (^^) You will however recognize several movements that are in Heian 4 and 5. It is said that Kushanku or Kankudai is the original Heian Katas put together.  The officer's movements are crisp and focused. I wish I only had more time to get into the bunkai of the movements. Interesting positioning of the hands.
       That day I was asked to demonstrate some SDF techniques for police work, I showed them the negotiation stance and the application of mawashiuke from the position.  Also had a little fun with my "iron forearm Bon Odori" drill. Had their biggest guy swing a hay maker at me which I naturally stopped with what looked like an arm slightly waving... Fufufu. From there the irimi with the Bon Dance stance.
A sample of non-contact tournament sparring. What a great foot sweep!
        
 The Shiga Prefecture Police Karate Club is a member of the All Japan Industrial league as well a the All Japan Police League and competes in yearly tournaments in sparring and kata. As a former member of LE I know how difficult it is to get prime training time! I also showed them some high intensity drills that could assist them in cardio training in their busy schedule without taking up time. Of course, I always had a younger member demonstrate. (^^)



No comments:

Post a Comment