Friday, April 1, 2011

Memories of Japan

        Although the "highlight" of my trip to Japan was the unexpected earthquake and tsunami, it was a very memorable one. I was able to meet many old counterparts in the Japanese Law Enforcement agencies as well as my Karate students and fellow instructors. The aftermath of the disaster also showed me the strength and resiliency of the Japanese people. The self discipline and never give up spirit. we should not delude ourselves that there were no crimes committed  after the disaster, there were, but in comparison to other countries next to none. No looting and or rioting. Many critiques will be written on the Japanese government response to the emergency. I will forgo being a Monday morning quarterback. I am certainly appreciative to those city workers who provided shelter to those of use that were stranded away from homes and lodging.
They themselves must have had worries about their own families, yet they worked around the clock to provide shelters for others such as myself  in a cold environment.
       I am certain that the Japanese people are appreciative of the all the support that is coming in from throughout the world. My personal thanks go to Tony and Mano Sensei for starting the wrist band campaign in their area. The last I heard cash support is a better form of assistance.
       Well not all the time was spent in gloom in Japan (^^). I'll be posting some of the "better" times that I was fortunate to have while in Japan. It will be in no chronological order.


Hawaiian music at my favorite hideout "Zucchero"

         Zucchero is a small hole in a wall bar in the Fukutomicho entertainment district in Naka Ward, Yokohama. The owner Sato-san is a very funny person and keeps you entertained all night long. As it is a very late night operation, a variety of customers or "Joren" come and go. This night a young Japanese guy came in with his girlfriend who came to pay up her bill from the previous night (yup it's that type of bar). We ended up with a mini Hawaiian concert. Pretty good singer. He had studied Hawaiian music in Hawaii and is now playing professional gigs in Japan.
Boys Day Figurine on a Harley!
Koi  noboris (Carps) One per son in the family.
          This day Michele and I were in Ningyocho doing some shopping at a super discount store for her mom's preparatory school . As the name implies the district has many doll stores. With Boys Day around the corner many stores were displaying boy figurines in samurai outfits! I really liked this one!

          Along with samurai figurines, floating carps are displayed at homes matching the number of sons they have in the family. The carps in the photo above are in front of a figurine store so I think it was out to attract customers. The carps are usually attached to flag poles so that the carps can be seen"swimming" in the breeze.  
Michele's late night dinner after getting off work! Not bad for under $8.00
Sweet sour pork, Chicken soup, Salad with sesame dressing, almond Tofu for dessert


I had the SURAMEN noodles with veges, soup heavy on vinegar and a side dish of steamed rice dumplings

Of course my non alcohol beer for the day! (^^)

More to follow. Time to sleep! zzzzzzzzzzz


No comments:

Post a Comment