Sunday, August 26, 2012

Purpose of Budo ( ^ ^ )

For those who don't do Face Book I thought I 'd copy some thoughts I wrote in my Dojo's thread in FB. I am not comfortable with the direction in which martial arts is taking, not all but some. Now, as with everything, there are countless ideas and pros and cons.  The issue I have is the proliferation and commercialization of who-called "self-defense" schools or courses. First let me give you the link to a couple that I recently came upon. One is from Japan and another is an English language article. The I will make my own comments. (Hopefully I can upload....( - -; ) )
Well here it go

田村装備開発Japanese Special Forces POLICE JGSDF Tactical Training
What average Japanese citizen needs to know "fast roping" a technique that requires specialized equipment and platforms that are high above the ground such as a helicopter or tower? When will yourt average citizen find himself requiring fast roping?
What average Japanese citizen needs to learn entry techniques and or even own military and police tactical gear? In a country that makes it illegal to even have a handgun! I guess there are enough Otakus to make this a viable business. 

Self-Defense Instructor Tim Larkin too Deadly for the UK? - Guns ...
The English article brings up an interesting point. Is it necessary to teach methods of killing to defend  yourself? What about the legal ramification? What do they say about the PTSD that many soldiers are suffering after returning from Afghanistan?  Sad.

My answer is the the following.

Aikido founder Morihei Ueshiba stated,

"The Way of the Warrior has been misunderstood. It is not a means to kill and destroy others. Those who seek to compete and better one another are making 
a terrible mistake. To smash, injure, or destroy is the worst thing a human being can do. The real Way of a Warrior is to prevent such slaughter — it is the Art of Peace, the power of love."

"There are no contests in the Art of Peace. A true warrior is invincible because he or she contests with nothing. Defeat means to defeat the mind of contention that we harbor within."
Osu!

No comments:

Post a Comment