Sunday, August 5, 2012

Summer vacation is over! ( ^ ^ ) ( @ @;)


     ( ^^ ) Summer vacation is over and the Pokemons are back in force minus a few! Most of July was spent away from the Dojo as well due to my mother's passing.  And, the Pokemons were also spread to the winds as they visited grandparents out of Hawaii or just taking a family trip to Disneyland. It was really great to see all those faces in the Dojo!
     Unlike Yokohama Dojo, Makiki Dojo has no senior adult black belts to assist me. My wife is usually busy at her work and rarely makes it to practice. When she does it helps a lot as she can take over the latter half of practice and help the mommies and dad group. That leave only the Pokemons! Now I would be lying if I said it's "duck soup" (Hawaiian English slang for super easy) On a full plate I have 20 kids ranging form 5 years old to 12 years old to look after. Each has his/her own unique personalities with strong and weak points. On top of it all are "kids" and time to time they will be just that "themselves".
      Now, teaching Karate is not your typical classroom environment where the kids are seated and tasks given. You have to teach them movement while keeping on eye on their safety. If you concentrate on one you miss out on 19. ( - -; ) All are motivated in different ways and requires different approaches.
If you concentrate in those who need more help then the ones that are already capable get bored and their concentration disappears.
      Indeed it is a  challenge for me! But I live for it! I probably get more form them than they get from me! It's been rather hectic that I haven't been able to video the classes or special sessions. Hopefully I can get a parent to help out with that!
     Kobudo has been now added to our curriculum, thanks to Ishado Shihan of Ryukyu Kobujutsu ShureiKai. Since the only other Yudansha in Makiki is my wife, we are the only ones qualified to practice it. Once one of the adults make it to brown belt then perhaps I can have them practice the Bo, Tonfa and Sai. Meanwhile, I need to pick up on my own training. Perhaps I can interest Take, Steve and Miwa to join me on Mondays for Kobujutsu. I'll need to have Shihandai Nagaie send me a training curriculum. Meanwhile I'll have to rely on my rapidly fading memory long ago Kobudo training! (^^)
A new adventure. Hopefully I will be proficient in Bo, Tonfa and Sai by the time I go to Japan next year. Ganbarimasu.

No comments:

Post a Comment