Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Smiles (^^)

Welcome to our newest member Allen! What a great smile!


Allen Funt once said, "When people are smiling they are most receptive to almost anything you want to teach them". 

I find this so true. 
A common perception of of martial arts is strict discipline, stern and military like movements with instructors barking out cadence. It doesn't have to be that way.  Of course, there are some Dojos that are like that. Many are convinced that that is proper development of self control and concentration.
I say it doesn't need to be so. 
For myself, I enjoy being surrounded by smiling faces and some chatter of my Pokemons. At the same time, they are expected to pay attention and concentrate when required to do so.
Smiling Pokemons (Pokemons are what I call my kid students) means they are enjoying what they are doing, so naturally their efforts are better. Yes, sometimes their efforts turn into tom foolery and that is when my lightning bolts fall! (^^) One does need to maintain control! 
Smiling is contagious! Even when I smile (my wife says that my smile tends to scare people- (- -;) ), kids smile in return and their energy level increases.
So make sure your Dojo is lightened up with smiles! 

"Peace begins with a smile" Mother Teresa

“We are not going to change the whole world, but we can change ourselves and feel free as birds. We can be serene even in the midst of calamities and, by our serenity, make others more tranquil. Serenity is contagious. If we smile at someone, he or she will smile back. And a smile costs nothing. We should plague everyone with joy. If we are to die in a minute, why not die happily, laughing? (136-137)” 

Swami Satchidananda, The Yoga Sutras

Share a SMILE today!




No comments:

Post a Comment