Sunday, September 19, 2010

心の内濁らず、広くして、広き所へ知恵を置くべきなり

Hmmm.I really need to get rid of my propensity for being a glutton for punishment. Sigh, perhaps its comes with having chosen a full contact style of karate, not to mention the years of being thrown around in Judo.
If you will recall I had written a short blurb on Kokoro 心and the difficulty of really translating the meaning.
Well, this time I offer you a blurb from the "Gorin Sho Mizu no Maki" 「五輪書 水の巻」by Miyamoto Musashi.  It is probably wise to say you would be better off reading a translation of the Gorinsho. I am pretty sure that there are many on the Internet available. For what its worth, I offer my interpretation.
First, the phrase
心の内濁らず、広くして、広き所へ知恵を置くべきなり
Kokoro no uchi nigorazu, hirokushite, hiroki tokoro e chie wo oku bekinari.
Whew, A mouthful isn't it? (**;) Well her goes my translation (no guarantee for accuracy)
Keep your soul from getting soiled, make your knowledge broad and encompassing.
Hmm, confusing. Well lets do it like Kata and break it down. A verbal bunkai, if you will.
Kokoro no uchi nigorazu. To me this equates to Fudoshin, the immovable spirit or soul. Not to be sidetracked by unnecessary thoughts. In facing an opponent your spirit/soul should be clear and focused.
You spirit should not move before the body.
Hirokushite, hiroki tokoro ni chie wo okubekinari . Once you have control of your soul/spirit, then you have the base from which to face the realities of "now". In other words be able to observe and dissect your current situation and be able to make right decisions.  By constantly "polishing" your knowledge and spirit, you then you can face your adversary better prepared.  In short, know your enemy.
So, how does this all relate to our Budo training. After all we are not in the era of slicing each other up. Or are we. Just replace all those things in your daily life that pops up and you find yourself scrambling to make things normal and right. I would dare say, Fudoshin will take away all those anxieties and pressures. (^^)
Like Kata I am sure there many other interpretations of his phrase by Miyamoto Musashi, but I thought I'd share with you mine. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. You know Roushiichi as I listen to your translated and then give your explanation of the meaning, I think of the work in its original language. I have read a translation of "The book of Five Rings" it was good, but you know I am just learning how much is lost, when someone else translated the work of Mussashi, or and other class work in Japanese...Thank you for your interpratations.....Give me a much deeper understanding of Fudoshin. I leaned it as "immoveable mind"...seems I missed a few things..smile.

    ReplyDelete