Sunday, September 12, 2010

Finger pointing

There is something about pointing a finger that is uncomfortable.

Everyone has experienced having a finger pointed at them. I would say that it is not a comfortable feeling.
Like any activity involving children, there are times when conflict arises and more often than not when an adult steps in, or in our case, the Sensei, both child would have their fingers pointing at each other and placing the blame on each other. (^^).  Well, kids will be kids. I, personally, do not expect them to be like angels 24/7, nor do I want them to be like robots. Fufu. Karate changes with each individual. It changes on the mood and mental condition at the time of practice. That is all natural and part of our training is to control those emotions and face whatever conditions that may be disturbing us. We have the option of reacting negatively or trying to resolve the issues in a positive manner. Budo training provides us the tools to act positively.
So, when kids get into an argument, I have them point their finger at each other and ask "How many are pointing back at you?".  The answer always comes back "3". Then I explain to them whenever they point their finger at someone, they must first ask themselves, "What did I do?" Everything has an action and reaction. I have them take a break and reflect on their own behavior rather than on the other child. It is not easy for children to do that. I know. Fufu. But I try to instill in the children the concept of being responsible for their own actions and behavior, so that when conflict arises, which it does, they will reflect upon themselves.
Hopefully none of the children will ask me about the thumb. (^^) I'll think of something sooner or later!

1 comment:

  1. Hoping that all of our Young and Older karate-ka read this post...Guess if asked about the thumb...I might just look at how the thumb is raped over the fingers, hoping they make a good karate ken. Joking.... I would just hope that it was raped in good form, ready for practice.

    ReplyDelete