Sunday, September 26, 2010

Keeping a straight face (^^)

Keeping a straight face is hard to do! (^^)

I recall being at a demonstration in Japan. The Yokohama Dojo gave a demonstration of our karate style. Naturally from a staunch Japanese traditionalist point of view our style may have appeared to be rather lacking in strict decorum. (^^)
A group from a relatively well known traditional style did theirs with their Shihan, a very elderly gentleman, in presence. Everything was done with a military like discipline and cadence. It was almost like watching a drill team without the precision on occasion. After all, kids will be kids. At one point, Shihan got up from the VIP table and  berated his students. Hmmm. I guess he was not pleased with students movements. The Shihan then personally took over the demonstration without regard to his instructor in charge. Well that is his style.  His students accepted it and carried on. I won't do it, just like I won't hit my students with a shinai as an  incentive, but that was the Shihan's way. So be it. But, the funny part was when the Shihan tried to communicate in English (the demonstration was being done by a US base group). His commands and movements didn't match. I forgot what the command was, but, the students responded correctly but the Shihan wanted a completely different movement and would berate the students.  No one volunteered to correct the Shihan's English and we all  pretended nothing was out of the ordinary.

 Following this, a very unique Tai Chi instructor gave a demo. Well, he first sang a song dedicated to his Tai Chi Founder and to say the least, it was not comfortable to my ears nor to anyone else in the gym. Yachi and I were seated at the front table along with other instructors. Naturally I sat there with a stoic face. Out of the corner of my eye I could see that Yachi was having a hard time keeping from cracking up. Further down the table I could see only one more stoic face, the previously mentioned Sensei. Across from me I could see my students losing the fight at self control. After the singing the instructor did a form and a break was called. All my students ran to the locker room and released their pent up laughter which resounded in the gym. Fortunately the Tai Chi instructor was out of the area. After the demonstration was finished for the day, I gathered all my students and admonished them for their behavior. Now I will admit I was flabbergasted as much as my students were with regard to the singing. But, I felt that it was from the bottom of his heart and pure in intention. No one has the right to laugh at that. Rather we should show respect for his efforts in expressing his thoughts about his instructor, even if it  takes discipline and self control that of a high Dan holder.  Even then it would have taken tremendous amount of  control. (^^)





2 comments:

  1. I can understand the students need to break with straight face. I see that the practice of karate with a stoic face, has its importance. This ugly face karate is one of my major problems. I understand that we should for the sake of respect, and for the effort made by the Sensei not break our stoic budo look as a Sensei teaches his art, but the stoic practice is also good for my karate. I am learning that with an ugly face, that my kihon suffers greatly, stiff...ugly kihon to match my face, pressing down on my shoulders. Nothing flows, seem to block and good ki...not sure what you think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. (^^) Ugly face??!!?? I have everybody beat on that! Yachi and I are often referred to as the Beauty and the Beast. Of course the beauty is moi. Fufu.
    It is the spirit that is important! Everything flows or stops with the spirit. Nowdays folks are too concerned with the "looks" rather than the content. And naturally the content is controlled by the purity of the person's spirit.
    But then again, I think I have more control over the five years olds just by my "face".
    Gahahahaha. (^^) Have a GOOD DAY!!

    ReplyDelete