Sunday, September 5, 2010

Kata 形、型

Kata

Or is it 形? One means form or appearance , other  pattern or sample. So is it 空手の型 or 空手の形。In Judo it is 投げの形、柔の形、捨て身の形、護身の形、etc. Most Karate organizations go with 型。Why? I really can't answer that. Perhaps the Karate Sensei's wanted to stress the difference between karate and Judo. In the height of Judo's popularity, karate was the "Bad Guy". (^^) Did you know that? For reasons unknown to me, the Karate character was always a mean and dirty character, wearing a black Gi. Definitely should of being going to AA meetings. The Judo character was always clean and pure wearing a white Gi.  Fufu. Which makes me gray since I do both arts.

Back to Kata. Just as there are two ways to write kata in Japanese. There are countless ways in performing the same Kata. In some cases, especially in Kyokushin lines, the Katas do not resemble the original Katas taken form Goju and Shotokan. Perhaps Oyama arranged the original Kata in his own style and vision of the kata. No problem.
Kata even differs within the same system depending on the Dojo. Add to that competition Kata! The varieties are countless just in "traditional" katas. Now we have "free style" kata, influenced by Wushu with lots of acrobatics. All that is fine also. We must remember that no matter what "form" we take to do a Kata, the basics are the same. Balance/Coordination, Concentration, and execution of the technique.
One national level Japanese Kata competitor made an interesting comment. She stated that should she perform Kata as it is done in her style, she could not win. She had to do the Kata in line with competition requirements. In short, competition Kata was a different animal. Hmmmm. I am still pondering over her statement.
There are many karatekas that scoff or completely reject Kata as being useless. Many of these people are into the "reality" and "aliveness" mode. But wait a minute, they do prearranged drills as well, don't they?
The usual is"If this type of attack comes, then you do X, Y, and Z." Isn't that just a shortened Kata?
Kata is a series of movements which is repeated over and over. How is it any different from these "reality" "aliveness" training? Proponents like to say that they do not use compliant partners. So I say "What's new?" Nothing as far as I'm concerned.  Traditional kata is always broken down into smaller patterns, some call it one step sparring. You practice a certain move that is in the Kata until you can use it. Depending on the Dojo, the severity of the attack changes. At least that is the way I was taught in Okinawa. (^^). My right elbow is still out of alignment. Fufu.
One "reality based" or "aliveness" seminar is not going to make anyone invincible nor is anyone going to be able to effectively use the techniques that are taught. So what do you do? You go back to your own space and practice what you learned over and over. Repetition after repetition. Wait! Doesn't that sound like Kata? (^^)
        

8 comments:

  1. Been thinking, but not getting time to write about your kata post. I was wondering what you think about this theory. I was wondering if the 形 katachi came first ? As you explained the judo kata kanji of Kano, Sensei is not the same as the kanji that we use in karate 型. However is see parts of 形 in 型. I also see the kanji for soil or dirt, 土 which I confuse with warrior 士 in your name pen name all the time. If this is the case then is the karate kanji a "fussing" melding of the the kanji for shape in soil or shape in dirt? I am still missing part of the kanji in karate word for kanji, I only see a "ri" for the third part. Maybe I have been working to much..and see things now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flynn, Shihan made this reading for all students. Great article from Goodin, Sensei. Made me think of you and the time in the University of Hawaii....

    http://www.seinenkai.com/art-bunkai.html

    More after yard work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony, You are on the right track. Contniue to break down the Kanji 型 and look into why the characters are together.
    Hint: (I really shouldn't do this and make you "sweat' on your own some more (^^). Take the upper right hand radical of 刀、by the way what looks like リ、it is not. Fufu.
    刑、刀、土 are the three elements in 型
    Have fun! You will make an interesting discovery. 頑張って下さい!押忍!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 刑 Kei has got me as one of these three elements, I have learned the kanji to mean a sentence, punishment, or penalty. I don't think the word sentence here is to mean Sentence as in how we write or construct a sentence in language. However that is how I want to use it. I like to say the elements tell me that kata is a "sentence cut in the soil". The reason I came to this meaning? I was taught that Sosai would say that the kihon of karate is the words, that the kata was the sentence of karate, and that kumite would then be sentences put into paragraphs that would tell the complete story of karate....

    刀 tau/katana knife sword, cutting tool

    土 tsuchi/do soil or earth

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: Might not has been as much effort as the team kata post...but did make a great effort...smile. Osu!! Roushiichi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Tony Sensei,

    I see that you are diligently trying to decipher the roots of the kanji 型. You are quite right to say that it is broken down into three parts: 刑、刀、土. We use 型 in many other circumstances. For example, for blood type we say A型 (Type A). 型 can also mean style, a mold, a shape... I am interested in how Japanese use the kanji 型 and 形 differently. 形 is used more frequently used to describe how an object appears whereas 型 refers to a fixed style or mold where one cannot change. That is probably why it is more suitable for Budo and the arts.

    Osu!

    William

    ReplyDelete
  7. Osu, Shihandai. Mahalo for your input (^^)I am pretty sure it has made Tony even more confused.
    Gahahaha. Just Joking (JJ. Based on your input I ask you this. You explained (quite correctly)
    「whereas 型 refers to a fixed style or mold where one cannot change」Then why is that there are so many versions of the kata as well as its
    bunkais and oyous? You have brought up an interesting point which definitely promotes more digging. As my brain is fairly exhausted from living longer than you and Tony, I will pass that theme onto y'all. To me, there is something about 土 being in the kanji.
    Oops used up my ration of brain cells for the day! I think I'll sit by the pool and get a solar recharge.
    PS. As a soon to be Physician, how would you diagnose Tony's hip pain? Do mine as well, William Sensei.
    Ahhh another topic for Tony's Japanese lessons. How is the term Sensei used? 先生,簡単ですよ。

    ReplyDelete
  8. Osu!! Shihandai and Shihan

    I am lost now on 形 Katachi and 刑 Kei. I am thinking that the radical of 形 ,刀、土 might better as Shihandai would say, more fluid, or malleable, shapable if that is a word in english..(^^). Thus leading us to karate kata being a more flexible in its shape. This then address Roushiichi comment? 型 then being a malleable shape that is cut into the soil or earth. The old masters then would want us to make versions of kata and oyous. What do my Nihongo teachers think of there student's work? Is it possible for me to make this change and be true to the nature of the basic radical? Is 形 a radical? Is the word root and radical the same when one explains the Language?

    ReplyDelete