Sunday, October 3, 2010

Reality/Aliveness training


Aloha and Good morning! (^^) Another fine Sunday morning in Hawaii. Just got back from dropping off "Da Boss" at work and the usual visit to the Farmer's Market for this week's vegetables. Got to support the local farmers!
Today I want to touch on the different styles of teaching. My teaching methods have evolved over the 40 some years of Judo and Karate. My military and LE experience definitely had an impact on my teaching.
In recent years you see a lot of hype using terms such as "reality based"; "live or aliveness" in an effort to pitch their particular style of martial arts. Many, not all, often pooh pahs so-called "traditional martial arts" as being far removed from "reality" and are basically useless. Many of these "gurus" of "reality" and "liveliness"
claim (note: I am not questioning their bios) having trained in a  traditional style and found it lacking.
I have to chuckle at such statements. They definitely did not train under the "traditional" instructors I grew up with.
First of all, I need to have the readers understand my basic premise of Budo. "Futatsu no Hoko wo tomeru" or to stop conflict. Through training in your chosen martial art or for that matter, any non-martial art such as Tea Ceremony, Line Dancing, Spelunking (I still remember the "panic" when I got stuck in a narrow passage way of a cave, Gahahaha), etc. you develop of sense of confidence and also the ability to respect others and to understand that nothing is gained from violence, hate, bigotry and jealously. In extension,  you follow a peaceful life and naturally do not get into situations that may harm you. Yet, in times of emergency you have the confidence to deal with issues and resolve them in a peaceful manner.
Some may say "You must be dreaming! Get real!" Well, aside from situations dictated by my military and LE careers, I have never really had the need to resort to my martial arts training.  The only injuries I received was from line of duty. So back to the topic of "aliveness/reality styles of teaching"
Way before BJJ or MMA became popular my Judo Sensei, Sakabe 8th Dan, would at times take us aside and show us the "dark side" of Judo. The techniques banned in modern Judo competition or perhaps we should call it the "roots of Judo". The various joint locks and chokes, methods of entry and escape. Perhaps his experience in the Japanese Imperial Navy had something to do with it. So when I read articles on BJJ and MMA I chuckle again. (^^) After all, BJJ origins stem from Judo/Jujitsu. I recall being at Narita International Airport and over hearing a young Japanese Judoka stating that he was flying to Brazil to learn BJJ. Hmmm. I guess there are not many Sakabe Senseis left in Japan?
When I trained in Okinawa it was certainly "alive" as it is popularly called these days.  Now I am not talking about "yakusoku kumite" or pre-arranged sets. The kicks were low and always aimed at the knee joints or groin. Head shots, well, lets just say it was yourresponsibility not to get hit. Way before Kyokushin gained popularity "full contact" existed in Okinawa. So once again I chuckle when I read comments with regard to  the "lack of reality" in traditional arts. Did you know the ankle hold/break exists in Heian Four and Five katas? Try it during a kumite session one day and you will see how much more you need to practice your kata! (^^)  Now that is what I would call aliveness training, applying techniques from kata into jiyu kumite.
One big gripe I have with Kyokushinkai. They popularized the phrase "Jissen" 実戦 or "Real Fighting".
This phrase I feel is too misused.  After all, what is Jissen. Certainly the style of Kyokushin tournament fighting is far cry from "Reality". Reality is the environment we place ourselves in, not the martial art.

2 comments:

  1. I know that we have talked about Reality training and how it relates to goshin Jujitsu ( I have to tell you Roushiichi, since the "kata" kanji post, I have been looking for the radicals now in words....I have been so lost...so much to think about and learn...I am sure more than one life time will be needed) Now back to the point. I am always thinking about the Jissen Kumite .... yes Kyokushin knockdown has many rules....But even with the limited waza of knockdown...I wonder at times...how "real" to the students want it...as you said...some of the training that we did does cross over to the "darkside" of judo or karate. Now for some, I think it is a must, if your are going into military or LEO work. For others, and kids...every practice I find myself asking..."how far", "how much" do I let it go. What should a fighting class look like? I wanted then to understand how real it can get, and yet I don't want them to walk like me at 46.

    Now you know that I am working on finding the ankle lock in Heian Yon and Go...I think I can see them at the end of Heian Go, and juji uke in Heian Go... I can almost see you smiling as you wrote the (^^) on that line of your post...Take it easy on me,,, I still thinking about the kanji for Sensei.....smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (^^) Ahh. Children and reality training. We need to be very careful how we tread this path. My thoughts are as follows. Please excuse the rambling nature as it is a topic that needs to be thought out in depth and it involves so many different factors. Life is complicated at times, or should I say we make it complicated. Gahahaha.
    1.Is there a need for reality type training for kids? “No” is my answer. Then what do we teach them? Physical and technical skills are to supplement the foundation of a proper mindset that will help the children to detect and avoid situations which poses a threat to them. For kids the development of the mind is paramount and should be the focal point.
    2. The physical and technical skills should be limited to “basics”. There is no need for kids to learn life threatening or incapacitating techniques. In that perspective even adults do not have to learn such techniques. Tony, as you wrote, certain jobs perhaps require “additional” training. But aside from the military on a battlefield, it would hard to justify using techniques that take or maim life. Even for LE officers, there is a thin line between controlling a suspect and “maiming” one. Think of the psychological trauma children would have if they took a life or maimed another human being. Why should we teach such techniques to our little ones? Even in Judo competition, (unless there has been a change) chokes and joint locks are prohibited for elementary and junior high kids because of the potential hazards.
    3. For kids I sit with “AES” (Don’t you love acronyms!) Avoid, Escape and Seek Help. We should concentrate on educating kids on how to identify and avoid threatening situations, when confronted how to extricate themselves (verbal judo) and to immediately seek help.
    4. If we teach our kids the correct path of Budo, then the percentage of getting themselves in threatening situations decrease. By teaching them the correct mindset they can extricate themselves from undesired situations. Kids and Adults have to think “smart” first. “Waza” should be the last resort. After all Budo is “to prevent fighting”. (^^)
    There is so much more to discuss on this topic, but my limited brain cells as screaming for “nutrition”! More to follow.

    ReplyDelete