Monday, October 4, 2010

Smithsonian: Walk though Old Japan

The October 2010 Smithsonian has a wonderful article on The Kiso Road, A Walk Through Old Japan | Travel | Smithsonian Magazine I know you wrote me of your last trip to Yokohama included a nice walk along a old road, that you used for "walking meditation". I was trying to remember if the path was in Kamakura or if I am getting the old roads of Japan confused. The picture is from the Smithsonian.com, I can read the first three kanji
中 nake , 山 sen, 道 do/michi, to me I understand this to be the "inside mountain way". ( I understand these kanji from karate, shuto nake uchi, great mountain from Oyama, Sosai, and path from karate-do.) I am sure Roushiichi, and Willam, Shihandai have much more to teach us (me)...but thought you might like the article. It really made me want to jump the next plane to Japan (Oh MONEY and TIME!!!).

1 comment:

  1. Tony,
    We need to start planning a trip to Japan! (^^)
    The mountain path you referred to is in Kamakura. How I miss the tranquility of the mountains. Luckily,here in Hawaii I live close to Manoa Valley where once in a great while I can go and enjoy the serenity and natural spirits.
    You are correct in your translation of Nakasendo. 中=naka (not nake) Fufu.
    Some more info.

    The Nakasendō (中山道), also called the Kisokaidō (木曾街道) was one of the five major routes of the Edo period. Itwas one of two which connected Edo(Tokyo)to Kyoto. There were 69 stations between Edo and Kyoto with a total distance of approximately 534 km/332 miles. The Nakasendō runs through the prefectures of Saitama, Gunma, Nagano, Gifu and Shiga.
    Another famous road is the Tokaido 「東海道」the coastal road. The Nakasendō traveled inland which gave its name meaning as "road through the central mountains". The Tōkaidō 東海道, can be translated as the "road near the eastern sea". Basho, the haiku giant, often traveled on the Nakasendo. Wood block prints of Mt Fuji are one of Hokusai's famous illustrations. Included in them are scenes from the Tokaido

    ReplyDelete