Sunday, October 31, 2010

Red, White and Blue

     
     I briefly touched upon this subject in my comments in response to Tony Sensei on the Child Safety issue. As Amercians we all have pride in our country. No one is less American than the person next to him. Regardless of race, creed or religion we are all Americans. A Japanese-American is no less an American than an Italian American, Irish American or Korean American. Like wise a Christian is no less an American than a Buddhist or Muslim. There were and even now times in which our allegience to our country is questioned because of our backgrounds.  Yes, at times we “blinded” by it. Reasons are numerous.

We were Americans then as much as now.

      Well let's put that aside and concentrate on Budo. It is no different in the martial arts. We all have pride in the art we follow. But this pride at times make us blind and build a wall of animosity and distrust contrary to what Budo is all about.


     Many moons ago I had told Tony Sensei about a fellow soldier who had practiced Karate in United States. I recall his style being Shotokan. He, in my mind, was fortunate to be stationed in Okinawa, the birthplace of Karate! Yet, this young man refused to practice at any Dojo in Okinawa as it was “all inferior” and that Shotokan was the only true karate. (**;) Hmmmm. Did they not teach history in his Dojo? Here as an opportunity that many could only dream of and he was throwing it away. I did try to explain to him the origins of karate, but alas, fell on deaf ears. He would not budge from the mentality that his style was the one and only supreme style of karate. Now that is believing! Many of the ills in this world are rooted in similar thinking.  Pride is one thing. To blind yourself to the rest of the world is another. Pride becomes Prejudice.

Nope! Okinawan Karate isn't the real thing! My Sensei told me so!

     Unfortunately, ypu can still see this in the world of karate. It also exists in other martial arts as well. Aikido, Kenpo, Kung Fu, etc. Now we have “reality based” or “alive” styles that promote “the real deal” and eschew so called “traditional arts”. The only martial art, that I know of, that has not been affected by this type of mentality is Judo. No separate styles, no off-shoots, no one claiming to have inherited Jigoro Kano Sensei’s Judo. Yes, there are Senseis that have their own style of teaching methods but it remains Judo. The formal Judo Katas remain the same whether it be Tokyo or Mechanicville.


Student: Sensei! Do I turn right on the opening on Heian 1?
Sensei: Ahhhhm, In U-ryu, it's left, In No-Ryu it's 30 degrees to the right, and Our-ryu it's..........
I also find "finding our roots" interesting. Being a third generation Japanese Amerian I hold Japanese traditions dear to my heart. But at the same time wearing a Rising Sun headband is not my cup of tea.
I recall a time when Japanese-Americans had a surge of "finding their roots" and we began to see these headbands on many occasions. Thank goodness kids didn't come to class in haori and hakama with two swords at thier waist! (^^)  Finding one's roots is not just visual, ity has more to do with the soul.
I dread seeing those Kamikaze head bands as well. I think there are many other ways of showing your roots.
Gaaaaah! よしてちょうだい!!




Now I can handle this! (^^)
or this

AUMMMMM. Let me be.

4 comments:

  1. Love the little man sitting meditation, hands left over right, peace over the warrior....umm if his hands were right over left would he be sitting wrong??? Just joking, and understanding your point, often see change in kata as a way to show which IKO ( group) or ryu you belong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought about this post while I was cleaning up leaves today....Just wanted to say thank you to you and all the Vets on this day, for what you gave and give to us....thanks Roushiichi!! and all Veterans on this day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still hard for me to understand, How a karate-ka could not find true budo in Okinawan dojo...wonder if he still Practices ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Tony, Mahalo for your kind comments to Veterans like me and many others.
    I have to be truthful and say that in the recent years I have mixed emotions when it comes to Veterans Day. Not with the concept of showing gratitude towards Veterans and their sacrifices and such (we must not forget their families and the countless non-military as well)
    My mixed emotions are with the reasons why our military are being sent into harm's way. I sometimes cannot help but despair over what seems to me a waste of limb and life overseas.
    I can now understand why fellow Vets threw their medals over White House fence during the Vietnam War. Why happened to the "Domino Theory" back then. Will it become the "China Threat" in the near future, now that Russia has sort of faded into the shadows for now?
    Why are we repeating Russia's mistakes in Afghanistan? England's mistakes earlier in history? Sure, modernization has changed some of the way it is fought, but the bottom line is the casualties do not stop.
    I often wonder "what if" we don't stick our fingers into foreign affairs. I'm not brainy enough to logically speculate on such matters, but is military intervention the only way?
    The final question on this Veterans Day, is have we really looked at the "root" of this so called "War on Terrorism"? Its causes? Are we looking at it in the right way? Unfortunately, perhaps it is too late to change anything to achieve a peaceful resolution. I don't know, the Catholics and Protestants seem to finally manage to live peacefully together in Ireland. Perhaps there is way. (^^)
    That is how I am spending this Veterans Day.
    Deep in thought.

    ReplyDelete