Friday, November 26, 2010

100th post! (^^)


After finishing the test. Contrary to the smiles we are both HURTING! (^^)

How appropriate that Ookoshi Senpais promotion test is the topic for the 100th post. And how time flies, rather,  it is amazing that I can jabber and yabber this much! (**;) To be honest, I never thought that I would do a ten men kumite over again especially on the week of my 60th birthday. 20 men and 30 men kumite was done when I was way younger and at the minimum practicing 5 days a week. Since leaving Japan, I had not done any kumite with exception of my Pokemon gang. (^^) So I would be lying if I wasn't quite sure how this promotion would turn out.
Well, it turned out better than I hoped for. My stamina did not run out, I was able to avoid or block most of the attacks. My experiment with headgear and hand attacks to the head confirmed my thoughts on kumite.
I'll write more on that after my hand gets back to normal. I'm hen pecking the keyboard for now.
But for today I want to dwell on three aspects of Budo. Of course there are more.
1. Shinnen or Belief
2. Challenge
3. Perseverance
Both Ookoshi and Iwasaki Senpais started karate in their early 50's and ended up testing for shodan in their late fifties. What made them stick to it? I believe it was their belief in our training, the willingness to accept the challenge of changing their lives at this stage and of course perseverance. Their spirit supported my spirit.
Their willingness to meet challenges bolstered my acceptance of challenge. Their perseverance solidified my perseverance. Jita Kyoei. But even before that, the meaning of Hito 人、one cannot stand alone. We are what we are because there is always someone supporting you. For this, I thank all my students in Hawaii and Japan. They all are the source of my love for Budo and keeping my candle lit.
Well, got 2 hours worth of video to edit and burn before Ookoshi Senpai goes back to Japan (^^)
I 'll post some in the near future.
Don't forget to work off all that good stuff you ate yesterday!
Osu!

1 comment:

  1. Great to see both of you with smiles, I was wondering if the first picture would be of Ookoshi, Sempai, sitting seiza beside you one hand on his shoulder….I am beating to many sune mawashi geri for him to sit?? I hope that you both are poolside today with a cool drink…and ice on the bodies…..I love the story that you talk me with Hito 人....I use that with students and family and friends so very often, I to understood perseverance watching my nieces finish there first 5K with me and their Mom ( my sister). Not only do they keep our candle lit, they are their to pass the light to...smile.

    Looks like this will be a Thanks giving to be remembered for many years...OSU!!

    ReplyDelete