Sunday, November 14, 2010

Challenge

Perseverance is the key to any challenge. The OSU spirit

On Saturday, there was a promotion test at Yokohama Dojo and another special test coming up here in Hawaii on Thanksgiving Day. Our Dojo has only one promotion a year based on the fact that there is only one practice a week for an hour and a half. If the adults warm up with the kids, then they practice for about three hours. It is the same here in Hawaii. So you can imagine, if you don't pass a test you have a year's wait to challenge again. For kids that is tough to bear. But I believe it teaches perseverance.  I remember the days when it was just white and black and you found out you were promoted when Sensei told you after practice one night. We didn't practice for wanting a new color belt. Well things change.
Colored belts are not a bad thing. But even with kids, they know themselves without any colored belts whether they have been practicing or not.  Oops I got sidetracked!
One of the students tested was Iwasaki  Senpai. It has been five years since he and Ookoshi  Senpai joined the Dojo on a challenge from a mutual lady friend who had joined earlier. They had even plotted to quit after the first testing. (^^) Iwasaki and Ookoshi Senpais were scheduled to test for 1 Kyu which requires a 8 man kumite. Upon consultation with my Shihandai, William, I decided to have them test for Shodan. After all its only 2 more additional kumite sessions. Fufu. I am happy to report Iwasaki  Senpai had passed with flying colors. At 4:30 am Hawaii time, he was busy comforting his body at at our usual watering hole with his Dojo mates.
Both Senpais hold important positions in their work; Iwasaki Senpai as a CEO of a medical equipment company and Ookoshi Senpai as an administrator in the Special Investigations Division of the Tokyo Procurator Office, Ministry of Justice. The responsibilities of their positions require long hours at work. Yet they manage to still train and also support Yokohama Dojo. It is the same with Shihandai with his Medical School, Furuya Senpai with his police duties, Nakagawa and Niimura Senpais with their own family businesses. They all face the challenge of pursuing the path of Karate within their lives. They all give back to the Dojo in the spirit of Jita Kyoei.
It certainly was challenge to start Karate at the age of 53 and to persevere 5 years to take the Shodan Test at 58. Not to mention having to complete the ten man kumite at that age. And to think their Karate is just starting! Shodan is the starting line for all of us.
Students such as Iwaskai and Ookoshi Senpai provide me with the energy and desire to continue on my Budo path. Arigatou.
Otsukaresama to all those who took the test!
OSU!




6 comments:

  1. Omedetougozaimasu Iwasaki and Ookoshi Sempais! on your Shinsa! From Tony and the other Kesshin-kai Students in New York. Just returning from Vermont tonight, weekend training with Flynn, Shihan. Great time as always. What great people are found in budo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of age....some one is coming close to 60 (^^)????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaaaa! Don't remind me, Tony! I'll be doing Ookoshi Senpai's Junin Kumite in two weeks!
    Aa you well know, there is only so much you can do to keep your kumite senses without actually doing kumite.
    (**:) I haven't done any hard kumite since leaving Japan! Take's style is non-contact so it really doesn't keep my full contact up to any level. Plus the stamina requirements are slightly different.
    Oh well, I will see how this 60 year old body can put up with the junin kumite. Gahahahaha.
    At least Ookoshi Senpai is only two years younger, I think. (^^)
    Perhaps Yachi can do some if she isn't working. But same with me, she hasn't done any hard kumite since leaving Japan either. The only adult I have is a Police Officer on rotating shift so I have a sparring partner constantly.
    So,I have been hitting my shin with a roller pin! It hurts! (^^) It's handy to roll up and down the shin too. I wouldn't make any pie crust with though.....well....the crust does get baked......(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops. Typo. I meant to say I don't have a sparring partner constantly. Fufu.
    Oh well, maybe the Pokemons' tsukis and keris will suffice to prep me. (^^) Mentally I am up for it already. I must have a masochistic streak in me. I love the thought of pain.
    Lalalalalala.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great news, from Shihandai William's update on Shinsa, I was not sure if
    Okosai-san was able to complete the ten rounds for Shinsa, since he was not
    named as completing the Shinsa. I did not understand that Okosai-san was to test
    before you and Yachi....I wish I was local for you, I would be honored to be part
    of Shinsa with you and Okosai-san. Seeing students like make shodan, is the
    best feeling in the world...

    You should make a youtube of his rounds with you,
    for Yokohama ( and me to see) the 70 YOA men, only went 1 round, and you and Okosai, might not be 70, but 10 rounds is still TEN ROUNDS at 60....
    Idea....might Shihan Lowe's Kyokushin group
    offer a few black belts, if they are around...

    Maybe it would just be best for the two of you to close the dojo, and have a 30
    min. welcome to shodan, go of it...smile...

    Congrads to the students and the teacher.....

    Osu!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (^^) Wish I could sned you a plane ticket! Hahaha. Due to O Senpai's schedule the test falls on Thanksgiving Day. I seriously doubt any one is willing to excuse themselves from family and Thanksgiving feast to beat up a 58 years old stranger. Fufu. Hopefully Yachi is off that day, so she can put in a few licks!
    Will definitely make a video. The hard part will be editing it into short increments so it can be uploaded quickly onto the blog. I Senpai is already hollering to make sure O Senpasi gets the same amount of "welcome" as he did in Yokohama. Gahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete