Sunday, November 21, 2010


Think of the person's hands and feet as swords. Hmmmmmm.


I previously wrote on this back in August. Just a little different take in the same topic. (^^)

The 15th principle in Funakoshi Gichin’s “ The Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate” is 人の手足を剣と思え [Think of the person’s hand and feet as swords] There are several interpretations of this. Personally I like the interpretation that the message is “don’t underestimate your opponent”. I think Tony can relate that in some domestic disturbances, the threat suddenly comes from the original victim. Always need to be on our toes. Always be prepared.

I want to take a look at this principle from a different angle. Of course, as usual, I am simplifying the concept and I can see some Senseis laughing and wondering “where did this kookoo come from?”.

Let’s start from taking the principle at “face value”. “Think of the person’s hands and feet as swords.” Hmmm. My first interpretation and reaction is “Don’t get hit”. After all, getting cut by a sword definitely diminishes your capability to protect yourself.  To take it further, if the key is in not being hit, the emphasis and focus on training should be avoidance techniques such as taisabaki, irimi and mastery of maai (distancing).

Now, let’s look at it from a full contact perspective. What is the core requirement in full contact? I believe it is the ability to take punishment. From the start we punch and kick each other to develop the body and SPIRIT to take physical punishment. Not to waver from the attack and return the favor ten fold. (^^) What is one of the requirements for testing? Kumite and the ability to be standing at the end of the 10 kumite sessions doing the famous Kyokyushin "shuffle" (^^)

So I ask you? Where did the 15th principle go to? Fufu.

Looking forward to Thursday's Junin Kumite. Hmmm I wonder if I can last? After all I haven't done any "real" kumite for since leaving Japan. (**;)  Oh well, a good way to celebrate my surviving 60 years!!
I have added a twist to the normal junin kumite. Half will be done with hand attacks against the head.
Light contact naturally. Don't have an abundance of brain cells functioning properly. Just want to try out a theory of mine with regard to Kyokushin style training (at least the ones I have been exposed to)

No comments:

Post a Comment