Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ookoshi Senpai's kumite

Hmmmm. As I battle the problems of uploading the vids, a short explanation of the kumite testing.
The portion of hand attacks to the head. This was preceded by 7 rounds of Kyokushin style kumite.
After finishing the 3 rounds , he then fought Yachiyo for another three rounds and finished off with me as a sandbag for one round. A total 14 rounds, approximately 45 minutes.
Of course he had to go through kihon Ido and Kata prior to kumite.
A very good effort by Ookoshi Senpai. (^^)
Friday, Darn, it sure is taking a long time to upload (**;)
Saturday, No luck again........(**#)
Sunday, My third attempt to upload vids this morning. Time to change server perhaps. The connection is really erratic and a good test for my patience. Come on, Clear give me my $$ worth! (^^)





Sunday, 3 hours later success with the 1st vid, now waiting on the 2nd vid. Thank goodness it is Sunday and I have time! (^^). For you action fans, sorry no lightning rounhouse kicks or spinning hook kicks. I think by this time, Ookoshi Senpai was just thinking of the beer and shochu. Besides, my feet has an averison to going above the belt! It's tiring!
     I did not use my favorite throws and sweeps as the we fought on a concrete floor convered with very thin linoleum  squares. I have practiced ukemi on this floor and the damage to the body would have been too great. Perhaps next year or the following year if we manage to raise $$$$ to purchase mats, then we will incorporate throws, sweeps and groundwork in our kumite. (^^)
     Hmmm almost time go shopping for the BBQ with Take's Dojo. His Shihan, Mitomo Shihan is in the islands. They particpated in an IKF (International Karate Federation) tournament. on Saturday. Mitomo Shihan had brought along his junior high shool Prefectural Champ. Need to catch up on the stories! Of course to EAT!!!
    All in all I had a great time at the price of a swollen hand. Gahahahaha. Hopefully Ookoshi Senpai was able to get outof his seat when he reached Haneda. I am pretty sure he will be having the standard Yokohama Dojo Critique session at "Seahorse" replenshing his immune system.
    I am looking foward to my trip to Japan and seeing everyone at Yokohama in March 2011.
   Hopefully the uplaod succeeds!.
Well folks it looks like the upload failed, Will try someother day.
Aloha

7 comments:

  1. Great effort on the video. I could see the look in your face after you landed that gedan Mawashi geri, must of felt the sweet spot on that one...Ookoshi,Sempai did not want to fall. I so well know the feeling...Nice to see his fighting sprirt not broken.....Job well dont!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (^^) When he boarded the plane on Saturday he was still limping. After a 6 hour flight, I can imagine the effort it took to straighten out the leg!
    I definitely will not do this again! Gahahaha
    But it did spark something in me to make me think I will go at the rest of the Yudanshas in Yokohama come March 2010.
    Will send out the complete vid shortly with English subtitles. You should hear Yachi's "razing". Great laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smile....was Yachi calling "Obasan".......love to hear the English subtitles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello all!

    The holiday season is creeping up on us so fast! December is Yokohama dojo's turn to upload a photo so I took the liberty of uploading one.

    I can see that the gedan mawashi really hit the spot on Ookoshi-san's leg.haha His guard sometimes drops and punches become like "cat punches" but at his age and being out of practice for a few months, I think he performed well! Thank you for the video!

    Osu,

    William

    ReplyDelete
  5. William,
    I miss the Taiikukan floor! (^^)
    Must be freezing in there by now. No central heating! Gahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. William, Shihan-dai

    I enjoy seeing the children sitting and such a large number. The life blood of the dojo, are the children in my opinion. Our floor too is cold, the heater is out in the dojo. It has been all week.
    I am often asked about the hand position while sitting seiza. I was taught to place the kento into the obi. Wonder what the rest of the world does…get lost in my little fish bowl…?

    ReplyDelete
  7. (^^)Protocol abound by the millions. I recall a Dojo that when bowing, had the students pound the floor with their knuckles in Tateken (Vertical fist) Maybe they didn't have a makiwara?
    Another fine afternoon in Hawaii. The sun feels soooooo good. Nyahahaha.

    ReplyDelete