Saturday, December 11, 2010

New York Shinsa Today....

Mechanicville Dojo Kyu Shinsa December 11 2010.


Kyu Shinsa today for five Mechanicville Kesshin-kai students. I am hoping to save some short videos of the day. I also have some stills of the video does not make it though on the blog. This part of Shinsa was under the direction of Sensei Pat Martone. Today we had one member from each of our kyu ranks up to San Kyu. I wish I had the video running durning my Ido Kihon section of the test....I used much of Ookoshi, Sempai's Ido that you sent me in the DVD. By the way Roushiichi, you are becoming a expert with the video editing. I think that DVD will be a treasure for Sempai and his family back in Yokohama. Great work!!!

I also enjoyed Kumura Dojo's 2010 New Letter. I like you Roushiichi, am so fortunate to continue my karate journey. Arigato Gozaimasu to you Roushiichi for our wisdom, friendship, understand, and constant challenges to better myself on this way. To Shihandai William for my Nihongo Lessons. To Take, Sensei thank you to my introduction to AAU Karate, and a new understanding of kata. Mahalo to all. Seems Yachi, Sensei has been promoted in and out of karate. Congratulations on the Sales Woman of the Year, and your Hachi Kyu from Lowe Shihan's dojo. I also thank you for modeling kihon and oyo for my in all the DVD's. Mele Kalikimaka to you all!!

The second video is from the keri Ido today, I enjoy watching and looking for areas that I and the students of Mechanicville can improve on, so comments are welcomed.

Ido kihon II


I am not sure that the longer kata video will post. I missed the opening to Pinan sono ichi today, but I am sure you will be able to fill in the previous movements. I note of interest, we do not use migi tettsui kome kami. I have never seen any other dojo, use Shuto as we do here. I just got off the phone with my, Sensei Dan Sisto and we were taking about change to kata. We may be getting a group to review all the change and variation that have made their way into kata. It has not been lost on me the discussions we had on the kanji of kata, maybe its just a but more malleable "shape or form that cuts our earth" in New York (^^). Time will tell here in New York. I will close now Jen and I would like to tree decorate tonight. I have to be honest Roushiiichi, the woman of bootcamp took it out of me today ( I think, I twisted wrong, my right rib cage is very sore....I know I should be more careful.....I still learning about "old".

Pinan Sono Ichi

6 comments:

  1. Otsukaresama to all the students (^^). The hardest part is relaxing in front of all the Senseis. The main focus in keri ido is maintaining balance to ensure a smooth transition bewteen the kicks. The stiffer you get the harder it is to keep your balance.
    I wouldn't fret too much on the kata. Whatever reasons for changes in Katas, as long as the application makes sense, I do not think any harm is done. The bigger question is; are there going to any more changes? If so, then why? And for what purpose is Kata in the curriculum?
    For instance, should Kesshinkai venture into AAU Kata competition then the normal Kyokushin versions of Shotokan and Goju Katas will not pass inspection. The WKF versions wil have to be mastered.
    Even a Japanese National Kata Champion stated the original Kata in her style would not meet the competition standards, therefore she has to practice the WKF version strictly for competition.
    On the other hand is Kata is retained for the sake of tradition? What part did Kata have in the tradition? Bible for Self-defense? Another often argued topic. (^^)
    Shoots, Kyokushinkai (Matsui), Shin Kyokushin Midori), Kyokushinkan (Royama) all have minute differences in the same Katas. For a different reason. Gahahaha
    More to follow. I'm starving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of starving...In my preparation for the Keiko Osame, which will happen for our dojo on the 30th of Dec....I re-read Lowery, Sensei again. I learned of the custome on December 13 of "kotohajime" making ready for the new beginning. That this day traditional students of budo, and other do's would pay a visit to their Sensei....Mine must be at a distance, but when I learned of this tradition, I needed to pay my respects to you and Yachi, Sensei. I understand from Lowery, Sensei that this tradition is grows rare even in Japan ( not sure??) But with the year we had, and the year our dojo had, I thought it was most important to talk of it here, and to say thank you to you, Roushiichi for being my Sensei.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad part is I find this small difference of kata, often are just made, to show which IKO you belong. I have seen few, that change do to oyo difference. I am far from in the know as to the bunki of all kata, but find many time the change is for the sake of change....I am trying, well NOT to change...but to go back...which is change for us who have "Changed"....(^^) Did you get all those changes???

    PS I have kind slack off reading some Kyokushin sites, because they dont take much of training, it more no smart #*#* comment barred....most days....

    ReplyDelete
  4. (^^) Second try with this comment. The server is causing Excedrin headaches!
    Burnig the midnight oil?
    Mahalo for your kind words, Tony. Yachi and I appreciate them.
    Yes, traditions are slowly disappearing in Japan. It is sad, becasue the more we modernize, the important our traditions become to maintain our cultural identities.
    Wouldn't you rather get a handwritten card than a computer generated one? I miss the warmth of handwritten cards. It is same in Japan, New Year cards are mkore often than not done by PC.
    Some are signed by hand, most electronically signed. There is something about handwritten that cannot be copied by electronics. (^^)
    The big ? about "going back" is: How far back?
    Fufu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning, Tony
    It looks like another fine day in "paradise". Lucky for the homeless (^^). All they have to suffer is the wet and chilly. I sure would not want to be one on the mainland this time of the year! Yachiyo is busy running around with her clients this morning.
    Thought I'd share a thought that streaked across my mind just a few mniutes ago. The karate world is strife with factions. Kata is often changed at the whim of the leadership. Styles are born literally everyday. Why?
    Judo on the other hand does not. It has political conflicts in national level organization (USJF, USJA, etc) but the art itself has not really changed. Kano Sensei's principles remain the same. Teaching methodology may differ but the core remains the same. Judo kata remains unchanged. Why? Why haven't Judo instructors throughout the world gone and changed the katas? If karate can "evolve" why hasn't Judo?
    Perhaps I can find an answer in the art of swordsmanship where "styles' exist as in karate.
    It is interesting to note that Judo evolved from various styles of Jujitsu. But hasn't changes since its inception. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just wondering? When Kano Sensei pasted away, was there a question of who should run the Kodokan? To me, it seems that the problem begins, with the state of the transition of leadership in the orginization....going to take a look and see what I can find about Kano's wishes for Judo....

    ReplyDelete