Wednesday, December 8, 2010

おせち料理 Osechi Ryori

Osechi Ryori
Did you know that in the "old days" there was no cooking done during the first three days of New Years?
So many housewives were busy at the end of the year cooking up Osechi Ryori in preparation for New Year. Of  course now you can order it at the local 7-11. (^^)
The ingredients used in Osechi actually have meaning. A quick run down follows.

Sato Imo (taro): fertility as many baby taros grom from one seed potato

Renkon (Lotus roots): hole in the root = ability to see the future

Gobo (burdock): as it grows straight in the soil = steadfastness


Ebi (lobster/prawm/shrimp): the bent back like the eldery = long life



Kohaku namasu (pickled white radish and carrots in strips) : festive red/white gift wrappings


Kuro Mame (black beans) : a wish to work in good health

Kazunoko (Herring roe) : fertility and prosperity

Tazukuri (Fried Sardine) : Wish for rich harvest as sardines were used as fertilizer


Kohaku Kamaboko (red/white fish paste cake) : red/white = auspicious colors

Datemaki ( rolled fish paste omelet): wish to improve knowledge and culture. Date also means flamboyant.
                                                       Maki = scroll

Kuri Kinton (chestnuts in sweet potatoe paste) : prosperity from the golden color of the dish

Konbu Maki (kelp rolls) : to be happy Konbu = kobu as in Yorokobu (to be happy)

Takenoko (Banboo shoots) : endurance and flexibility

Tai (Red Sanpper) ; fish used for all auspicious celebrations.

I sure miss the smell of cooking at the end of the year! Of course, I snuck a few bites while grandna wasn't looking! (^^)  Now if folks would stop going to MMA fights in New Year Eve and spend qaulity timw with family at home!

Tradtionally the Ameyoko in Ueno is packed with folks buying the ingredients for Osechi. The Ameyoko
(short for American Alley) was originally a blackmarket area for US goods illegally obtained from Occupation Forces right after World War Two. It then developed into a shoppong area for very cheap goods ranging form food to clothes. The National Museum of Art is close by as well as Ueno Park which is aslo famous for Cherry Blossom Viewing in the Spring. Lots of sake and shiochu flows throughout the day!
The local police is kept quite busy as well. (^^)

Entrance to Ameyko
Shopping fo goodies!













What kind of New Year traditions do you have in New York?

5 comments:

  1. Roushiichi....Jen called to tell me I have a package from you at home....I hope its Ookoshi-san's DVD....I just wanted to let you know it made it to my house....I cant wait to watch it.....Thank you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be able to read and write tonight....

    ReplyDelete
  3. By chance, is it snowing up there? (^^). The Honolulu Marathon is on this weekend. 16,000 Japanese runners! 60% of the total number of runners. They must want to get away from the cold! It's chilly tonight, enough for a light wind breaker. Fufufu. Enjoy the DVD. What a way to spend a night! Watching two ol futs pretending to be Jet Li! (^^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roushiichi, We have not seen much snow .....but as I am writing you...Jen is telling me we might be getting a ice snow mix for the morning...that would be Sunday Morning Dec 12th. I will let you know....I dont know if I am up for a Marathon...best I have done this past month is 10K.....but sure would like to see Honolulu again....its 26 degrees right now here.

    By the way....I learned so much from this post thank you, knew there was meaning....just did not know...what the meaning was for each of the food items....Might I suggest a lesson for my New York budo-ka on the close and opening of the new year, in the dojo. I taught all I could last year, with the aid your gifts for the dojo.....but thought it was always better from the source.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha klimt (^^)
    Mahalo for visiting the blog. I am a shoshinsha with things connected with computers so it may take a while to get the link done. I have to find it on th blog first! Gahahaha.

    ReplyDelete