Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hatta-ism Part 2 Balancing right and left. 右左の平均

左右の平均
       How often do we hear, "I'm right handed" or "I'm left handed". We also see competitors who are undefeatable when playing on their "strong side" but once they are attacked on their "weak side" they are easily defeated by "lesser" opponents. Hatta instructed his wrestlers to be able to use both sides.  Which ever side was the strong side, his wrestlers would use the opposite in daily life. Brushing their teeth, using chopsticks, hanging on to straps on the train, etc..  in addition to practicing their techniques with their "weak side". Perhaps it may seem extreme, but then it probably is the fastest way to gain dexterity with your weak side. Imagine being in the Orient and there were no spoons or forks, only chopsticks! To eat I would definitely master the use of chopsticks to a point I could pick up a marble in a bowl of oil! (^^) Try this one time! A good party game for sure.



      Another Hattaism was 「負ける理由をさがすな」"Don't search for excuses to lose"  Often at overseas competition, excuses such as "the food didn't agree with me" or " I couldn't get enough rest because of the noise" Hatta made it a point to choose a training area which was noisy even late at night. He would even change the diet from rice to bread, In this way none of competitors would have an "excuse" to blame their performance. In a sense, taught them the mental fighting art.  How often in our daily lives do we make "excuses"? (^^)  As one pursuing the martial way, shouldn't we never have excuses?

3 comments:

  1. An oiled marble, I still am working on Soba. I practiced tonight with my hashi on the soba. I cant image trying to get that marble...

    As to karate, I do try to work both sides...my weak leg has now become my strong leg, do to my back problems.....

    How often while waiting and waiting for the next round, did I talk myself out of fighting my best fight...I remember watching the fighters as I would wait to "go on to the next round". I could I beat this guy, he is uchi-with this budo house or that dojo....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking today about the mental fighting art, I was doing some light kumite with Sensei Heid and several of the members of the school on saturday. None of us had our "best stuff" several had not been to practice in months, two of us had injuries that we have been nursing for some time, yet we worked the best that we could....learning how to fight now, not having my A game, most likely ever again. Yet, then again that is how it will go if our skills are to be tested in the streets. I might not be at my best....mental fighting might just be much more important. I will not have 6 months of hard kumite, and be at my ideal weight and body mass index .....but it will happen none the less...

    ReplyDelete