Sunday, January 16, 2011

Some things never change (**;) (^^) (- -#) (^^)

Michele's display case.
     My daughter Michele is graduating from college this March. Hoooray! Hopefully she is gainfully employed following her graduation. Her major? Voice actress/Theatre.....Hmmmm. Last year in Japan, only 40% of college graduates were successfully employed at full time jobs. I hear it is worse in China. Well at least she has a part time job at the local convenience store for now. (^^)
     Well back to the topic. Michele has always been fond of putting together model kits from an early age.  Not the usual run of the mill model kits of ships and castles but model kits of her favorite anime characters. My study is full of the empty boxes which she insists on keeping. Since the apartment cannot hold all the model kits she has made they are also in storage here in Hawaii, except her favorite ones. Hmmmm. I am resigned to the fate that upon my return from Japan in March my suitcase will be full of empty boxes and her model kits. (**:) Gahahaha.
     But that's OK! (^^) I think it is good to have some things that never change. Sometimes I sneak a look at the animes she is really into. To be honest they are better than your soap operas such as "As the World Turns" or many of the current TV series that bombard you with nonsense. The animes,to include Pokemon , actually has the core values that I value in Budo. Loyalty, Persereverance,  Honor, Ethics, Morals,Self Control, Benevolence. Granted there is violence in most of the animes, but then I grew up with Popeye, Mickey Mouse, Road Runner which was also filled with violence, often times violence for violence sake.
Martial Arts is filled with violence as well. The key difference is that the violence we learn in Martial Arts teaches us not to use violence for violence sake. Through the hardships of training we reinforce our key core values, regardless of the different cultures we were raised in.
     The only complaint I have is.........I'm running out of space!!!! Oh well, perhaps that is not bad thing either. It helps control my spending $$ to get my "junk". (^^)
     I am really looking forward to attending Michele's graduation in March! Perhaps I will take back to Japan all the boxes and model kits I have stored here??!!?? Nyahahahaha. (^^)
Michele when she was nice and quiet.
How time flies! (^^)

1 comment:

  1. l enjoyed Michele's baby photo!! I never knew that Animes had model kits. I learned some japanese from the Animes.

    I have seen the reinforcement of good core values, in the cartoon characters. I know several of my students here in New York love the Animes, and have learned a good deal of vocabulary from the cartoon.

    I am sure that after graduation, Michele's model kits might be on hold for a few years....wish I had more free time for my hobbies...ok ok...my one ..Karate.

    ReplyDelete