Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ju-kyu Daifuku , 大福 maybe??

First Attempt Daifuku, 大福, now I understand the true mean of Osu! This effort took Jen and I all afternoon, and I did not want to show you our major blunders ( should have had video of that one for you, but there was a little cloud of potato starch in the air, much like fireworks your way Rouchiichi), there is potato starch all over the kitchen.

After eating your toasted mochi rolled in kinako/sugar, Jen wanted to make Daifuku, wer returned from the Asian market in Albany with all we needed, except experience, for those of you who understand the method much better than me, we made our Mochi from sweet rice flower, we did not go the traditional way. We are hoping to take these to my mother for her Birthday on Monday, She will turn 70. Happy Birthday Mom!!

NB: Jen does not like the Anko made from Azuki, so we made some with and some without the anko.

4 comments:

  1. Great loking Ichigo Daifuku! (^^) Darn them strawberries look BIG! Did you prep them in sugar water?
    The quickest way to make mochi is to mix the powder and water and then zap in the microwave until you get the consistency you prefer!
    Word of caution. Every year there are Senior Citizens in Japan that choke on mochi due to its consistency. Advise your mom takes mini bites.
    (^^) I can imagine the kitchen! Gahahahaha,

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is big strawberry Daifuku.
    I seem to be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the strawberries are very big. I got them at the Green Market here. Stawberrries even the ones I pick with my father and Jen, are often not as large as these. Roushiichi we did not prep them in sugar water, I washed them in tap water and dressed them. I at the end, started to cut the berry in half. They are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: I remember your caution Roushiichi from last year, Sad that something so good, can cause such a problem, Jen found that her first bite did stick to the roof of her mouth.

    ReplyDelete