Sunday, January 23, 2011

Message in Hagakure (RTK interpretation)

葉隠 Hagakure

名人も人なり、われも人なり、いかで劣るべき


This proverb can be found in “Hagakure” which some refer to as the “Bible” of the samurai.



Hagakure, 葉隱, which is often referred to as the “Bible” for the samurai or warrior, is a collection of commentaries by Yamamoto Tsunemoto (, June 11 1659 - November 30, 1719) of the Nabeshima Han (clan) which is now Saga Prefecture.


As usual, I will interpret this proverb in my own simple thinking. Scholars may not agree to my interpretation. It would behoove the readers to read Hagakure for themselves and to come to their own understanding. I believe in the saying “ 十人十色” Ten people, ten colors. We will always have different interpretations. What is important is that we retain the tolerance and ability to understand each other’s interpretations. After all, some think that Blue Cheese is great while others get sick just thinking about it. (^^)


Back to the proverb. In any confrontation it is only natural to think that the person with superior skills and mental training will be the victor. Not only in combat, but in any other crisis situation, internal or external. So what makes the difference between overcoming a situation  and being overcome by the situation? Is superior training the only key?  In actual combat or serious situations, when faced with “real” dangers what makes the difference in life or death? I believe it is the innate spirit that dwells in each and every one of us to overcome adversity. Whether it be Sensei, Senpai, CEO, Special Agent in Charge or the local Hell's Angels rep, we are all human (人間).  What makes a difference is the “spirit” or "driving spirit" 気迫 kihhaku with which we confront our adversities or take on our missions or tasking.
"Dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!"


I think this is what “Meijin mo hitonari, waremo Hito nari, ikade otosubeki” is conveying.



Neko chan Ganbatte! You can do it!!
猫ちゃん 頑張って!やればできる!!

5 comments:

  1. Roushiichi, just sent a comment about not bring my best A game to kumite during saturday practice, but still each of us had the kihaku 気迫, at first look i thought it was kido or kimichi, the 迫, is very close...umm same radical....love that photo of the cat and dog...Ganbatte ni kitty...

    Was funny to see your new post was a comment to my comment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 道 vs 迫? I am looking into it now before bed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hagakure, 葉隱..this might take me some time to read...i am sure more than seven breaths... looking into it now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home today reading Hagakure:the book of the samurai by Yamamoto Tsunetomo, and William Scott Wilson....just started to read...Will be a while ...but in the sprit of The longest way home being the shortest...thinks its best that I read all that your recommend...only sorry I can't read it in is original...of which I understand there is no accept original copy??

    ReplyDelete
  5. (^^)When I am in Japan I will be spending a lot of time in the used book district in Jinbocho.
    I may be able to find some interesting books!
    Translation is very difficult and one really needs to be able to read the original to ensure you are getting the right vibes. It continues to be a great challeneg for me.
    I recall when the movie MASH came out. I was in Japan. I believ it was a time when four lettered words began to make its way into movies. The Japanese translation for "I'm going to knock your f***ing head off" came out very lame. Likewise in Hawaii, when we went to see Japanese movies, the English sub-titles were...well...interesting to say the least. Chinese movies had Chinese (due to the different dialects) as well as English subs which took up quite a bit of the screen. (^^)
    I really take my hat off to those simultaneous interpreters in the United Nations!

    ReplyDelete