Friday, March 11, 2011

I am Safe and Sound! (^^)

     First of all I would like you to join me in a moment of prayer for the victims of the earthquake and tsunami here in Japan. Once again Nature has shown its power and the helplessness of we humans.
I was on my way to Kodokan, the mecca of Judo when the earthquake first hit. It was pretty scary feeling not being able to stand aned to see the buildings around you swaying. I could hear screams from the subway entrance nearby.  After the initial tremors subsided, I continued on to my destination. Unfortunately everything was shut down and everyone out on the streets.

Statue of Kano Jigoro Sensei, founder of Kodokan Judo

       Naturally all public transportation had stopped and I walked back towards Shinbashi, a major train station with hopes that the trains would be up and running. It was about a 2 hours walk. By the time I reached the vicinity, I joined a mass of people also trying to get back home. Imagine if you will a sea of lemmings! In this case people! Incredible lines of people trying to catch taxis to get home!
     Once at Shinbashi, there were crowds watching the large screen showing real time footage of the tsunamis! There were also long lines at public pay phones as the cellphone networks were all overloaded and no connection could be made. So much for modern technology! (^^)   Once we were told there was no end in sight for resumption of train operations, I set out to get a place to stay. I must have spent two hours to  no avail! All hotels, Internet cafes were booked up! By early evening all the convenience stores were out of food as well as fast food joints.
     During my search I learned through one of TVs that the City was offering refuge at nearby ward facilities and schools for those of us stranded in Tokyo. Off I went to the nearest refuge point. I was very grateful to get out of the cold and to the efficient manner in which the City was able to set up the refuge centers.
We were also provided biscuits (hard tacks) and water at the refuge center. (^^)
     This  morning at 0440 went to the station to catch the first train out.  But alas, no luck in resumption of services. I hoofed it to Hibiya where a private rail was operating and managed to get back to Yokohama.
I am very grateful to be in one piece and able to write his blog. By the way, the auditorium that Michele's graduation was scheduled was damaged and the graduation ceremonies cancelled for now. Karate practice for tonight is up in the air as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment