Thursday, July 22, 2010

Complexities in Translation and Cultural Differences

Sharing languages and cultures are a great step towards better understanding of each other and peace for all mankind. Breaking down stereotypes and barriers is important. After all, life is too short to waste on hate born from lack of knowledge, understanding, and respect for one another.
Unfortunately these barriers exist in martial arts as well. Pride in one's martial art or style is acceptable but when the pride starts to evolve into disparaging remarks and hostile attitudes towards others, then I believe we are on the wrong path.
Ooops! Back to this post's theme.
As I started to write,  learning another language and culture is a positive step. Of course it is a minefield as Tony experienced (^^). The nuances that hide behind words that can be only made clear with knowledge of the culture.
From my experience in handling delicate investigative negotiations with the Japanese police I can provide one of many examples (very simplified and generalized)
During meeting in Tokyo,the Japanese representative replied、“主旨は分かりました。前向きに検討いたします。”「Shushi wa wakarimashita. Maemuki ni kentou itashimasu.」Direct translation would come out as [We understand your point. It will be considered in a forthright manner].
Now how many of you would interpret this that your proposal was about to be accepted?
Change the location to Osaka and the verbiage is "考えときますわー”Kangaetoki masuwa-(Osaka dialect).
In Tokyo there was a chance that our proposal would get through but NO guarantees.
In Osaka, the probability of acceptance drops dramatically. Chances of approval are slim. So just knowing the language and interpreting sometimes is not enough.
I remember my boss asking me to tell them" I am Irish and I have short temper, I need a straight answer, yes or no." Actually, all Japanese in attendance could speak and understand English  fluently. (^^). Why they needed me as an interpreter is still a mystery to me. To say the least it was a very memorable meeting. The clash of two different ways of conducting business based on separate cultures. Long story short, in actuality,  the Seat of Government meeting was protocol formality as grass roots work had already been made and secured (at least in the mind of guys out on the street).
Enjoy some vids on language!

The girls are , rather were, the  "Morning Musume" a popular singing group composed of very young girls.



There are tons of similar examples!! (^^)

4 comments:

  1. I am always taken, when I learn that one letter in Japanese is often the difference. Like Hara and Hari...Ago and Age...just the final vowel...

    Enjoyed the Yu-smell...cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roushiichi, Just was wondering on tense here..."Shushi wa wakarimashita"...We understand your point..

    Why is it Understand, and not understood? Does not the -shita set the past tense? Wakarimasu, we or I understand, vs... We or I understood...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony (^^) Your Nihongo Sensei is William!
    You are correct. 'shita' at the end of a phrase does indeed make it past tense. Properly, it should be interpreted as understood. However in the flow of the conversation it really didn't make much difference (at least in my mind) the important issue here was how to explain to the boss that was not cozy while the words would indicate a positive mode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sumimasen Sensei
    Osu!!

    Jen got Rosetta Stone Japanese, so I am hoping that William Sensei will have less work to do. These kinds of matters...hurt what is left to my brain...smile.

    ReplyDelete