Monday, July 19, 2010

Martial Arts and Healing

This morning Yachiyo aka Yachi and I took Yachi's "baby" Yuta aka Michael to the vet to get a diagnosis on cataract surgery of his eyes. Yuta is a 13 years old long hair chihuahua. Well, Yuta went through the same tests I went through for my cataract surgeries (both eyes also). I also found out his surgery may be more expensive than mine!!! Post operation recovery is a tad bit more complicated than mine. (**;)
The vet, the only one in Hawaii specialized in animal vision, is booked solid until October. Meanwhile,  a blood test will determine whether Yuta can go under anesthesia for the operation. If not, well, I guess Yachi and I will be the seeing eye humans for Yuta. (^^).
When I got home I pondered over martial arts ( a normal thing for me) and started to think about the relationship between the fighting aspect and the healing aspect. I have always taken the position that if you can disable then you should have the skills to enable. Practicing martial arts is a big responsibility in that sense. As one gains knowledge of "hurting" then knowledge of "healing" should be gained in conjunction.
Hawaii has its own system of martial arts called Lua. However, the healing arts are also part of the Lua system. This is similar to Chinese and Japanese martial art systems. Not well known to the Western world, many Judo instructors are Seikotsushi 整骨師, roughly translated "bone setters". It is formally called Judo Seikotsushi.
Many Chinese martial art instructors are acupuncturists and chi healers as well.  The common thread here is that while they instruct "fighting arts" they also are capable of healing. I think that this concept is very important. Not many of us have access to Ki, Chi and seikotsu instruction. It takes a in-depth training program to achieve the skills. It also requires you to be certified and licensed by responsible authorities.
While we all may not become acupuncturists and chi healers, I believe that it is imperative that as we gain rank in martial arts, you also gain the rudimentary knowledge of First Aid and Physiology. Certification in CPR, AED and Basic First Aid is a must.



Shorinji Kenpo has an intensive curriculum for its black belts also. I was introduced to this great system by my good friend Fukushima Sensei (Giwaryu Kenpo) and Atsumi Sensei (Yokohama Negishi Doin)
NOTE: Do not try to copy the techniques shown on the video unless you are supervised by a properly
certified instructor. "Fooling around" with pressure points can cause grievous damage.

  c

8 comments:

  1. That is incredible, I would love to learn more on how to heal. William,Shihandai-- Roushiichi tells me that you are in Medical School. Would you mind sharing the breakdown of time learning these methods seen here (what people in New York would call Eastern Medicine and that percentage of time is spent on more "modern" medicine?

    Excellent post Roushiichi, so much I would like to learn in this area...I have been reading the Bubishi, by McCarthy, Sensei. I am up to the writing on Herbal medicine. I will have to say, since there is not Teacher of this practice here in New York, that I will never be able to learn this area. Does not look like one should "experiment" in this area.

    Ro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Yuta is feeling better soon...???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Tony,
    I am currently learning to be eye-human for Yuta (66). Yuta is beginning to understand that he does not react to my leash pulling he has a meeting with an immovable object or black hole. The renkei 連携or teamwork is developing.(^^)
    Remember Dr. Siu's Acupuncture clinic in Honolulu? I am pretty sure there is a similar clinic in New York (no knowledge of distance) which offers similar programs to be certified as acupuncturists. You may want to check out her Home Page and see what her school's requirements are.
    You are correct when you say there should be no experimenting! Even massaging can worsen an injury. For most karate related injuries RICE suffices. Should go beyond that with half baked knowledge and to manipulate joints and or massage an injury, we are taking a big risk. Our students should have First Aid competency to stabilize an injured student for EMTs to transport the victim to a qualified physician.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohayou Roushiichi

    I do remember well Dr. Siu's Acupuncture clinic, I will look and see about the location of schools....I am not sure I would be ready to return to full time study. But I am old EMT...

    Poor Yuta...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony Sensei,

    Med school in Japan is just the same as in the States. Most of the focus is on Western medicine. We do, however, have to understand herbs and traditional Chinese medicines that patients may take. Due to the limitations of modern medicine and more evidence-based results in traditional healing, a lot of physicians are prescribing herbs to patients. For example "Kakkonto" for the common cold, "Maoto" for influenza, and so forth...

    There are proper schools that teach acupuncture, seifuku and shiatsu. What we call "Hari and Massage". These people are nationally certified. However, Seitaishi and chiropractors are not nationally certified in Japan.

    I hope this was able to answer some of your questions.

    Osu,

    William

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Konbanwa William, Shihandai

    That is very interesting. I was personally interested in the training, because of my recent back problems ( I have herniated L3-L4 and S1). I was wondering how this would be treated in Japan, as compared to New York. My western trained, physician was not a big supporter, in fact told me that a Chiropractor might cause me more damage to the disk. I was hoping that Eastern Medicine, might have some solutions that did not find surgery as ultimate solution.

    I also found some confort in the way the eastern field still takes a good history and physical exam, before sending you off for the MRI, or EKG, or the higher end testing...Just personal observations...

    Tony

    ReplyDelete