Wednesday, July 14, 2010

WhaaaaaT?? (^^)

Found this when catching up on news from Japan and I just had to post this! (^^).  There many things in Japan that boggles the mind. I am pretty sure there are many in Unites States as well. It would be fun to share those on this blog.
This spigot provides soup refills at a noodle shop.
I am curious of what is behind the wall. It is more sanitary than a pot with a ladle like at a buffet line. Fufufu.
Language lesson! It has been always generalized that Japanese folks have a hard time pronouncing 'L' and "R". I have met many that speak English way better than I do (doesn't take much I must admit). At times this problem transfers over to writing as well. Back in the 60's, there was a butcher shop near Kodokan (mecca of Judo) which advertised itself as "Flesh Meat". Probably did not get too many foreign customers! (^^). Any similar sightings
                                          in New York?

2 comments:

  1. Well now Roushiichi, as I sit here thinking of "Language lesson", the one that comes to my mind, is my personal blunder with Keri 蹴 and Geri. For those of you who were not "in the know" on this one. I wanted to complement Yachi, Sensei on her Yoko geri. I was shock to learn that I told Yachi that she has nice diarrhea...How is that for Language blunders?

    To this day , I don't know the kanji for Geri, and I am not sure I want to.

    One more "knife hand" Shuto waza ,手刀打....for years in our dojo, sounded like SHOE TO, not SHOO-TOW...

    In short, if all your missed is the "L" or the "R" sound, well your doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fufu. (^^) It's a mine field out there!
    Geri (下痢)is "da runs". Keri (蹴り) is kick.
    BUT...when Keri is combined with another word such as Mae 前、Yoko横、Mawashi 回し、Ushiro 後ろ, then Leri becomes Geri. If I remember right you used Geri by itself referring to kick but pronouncing it as "da runs" (^^)
    Shuto 手刀打ち Shu as in shoot without the t sound and then add the toe (^^)
    This is what the blog is for!
    By the way, Kesshinkai and Hawaii kids do you know how Japanese animals cry?
    Yokohama kids do you know how American animals cry?

    ReplyDelete