Saturday, July 17, 2010

Gekisai dai kata and Jodan Uke?

We have been working on Gekisai dai. I have been thinking about the various version that I have seen of this kata. I was with Take, Sensei last week here in New York. Sensei's wife, Ki-Chain was telling me at dinner that she was starting to practice, and was learning Gekisai ichi. Here in New York, we do not teach this kata until 6th kyu. Prior to WWII some historians of karate, believe that karate used the shote mawashiuke as the "high area" block. That the Jodan age uke, was developed later as a simple high area block?? Many point to this kata, as the kata of transition during this period. Any comments or ideas? How much different does your Gekisai dai look to mine??

You will see that I do not have the floor command that Take, Sensei has in his kata....

I am sorry the Video will not post to this entry, it may be to large. I am not sure, please stand by...as they say in TV land.

I will have it up on google docs, if anyone would like to see it.

4 comments:

  1. Tony,
    I'm lazy, can you upload the link, please??? (^^)
    有難う!
    Today is the Ukulele Featival. Going to check it out and get some "Ono" (delicious in Hawaiian) munchies, improve my vision and just chill out while "Da Boss" is working.
    Ahhhh, the life of a retiree. (^^)
    Take and I rolled around on the mats yesterday.
    The Aikido class was having a weekend seminar and left the mats out. Take learned to appreciate the falls (ukemi) and hold downs.
    After practice Take, Ki-chan, Yachi and I went to Hot Pot (Taiwan style stew pot) and had a good dinner! The shaved ice with fruit and coffe jelly for dessert really hit the spot! (^^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roushiichi, I have work on that upload all day. I am thinking its the original video. It maybe that I do kata so poorly that the "hanchiman" would not allow this kata to see the internet (^^). I am just given up and its 10:51pm. I will try and redo the kata on tuesday....

    Judo, I miss my practice with my Judo friend. I need to fix my back and hip before I get back to ukemi...I know so little. Did Take learn about the hold down, Kesa gatame, that was a classic...I am sure both of you were a little sore come time for dinner. Coffee jelly?? that is new to me. My pain comes the day after...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fufu. Tony. Good luck on the 2nd edition!
    Take found out how hard it was to escape a properly done kesa gatame or kuzure kesa gatame.
    The triangle theory of controlling the body.
    Of course, I do weigh more than he. (^^)
    I also showed Take, the "old Style" Jujitsu ukemi which I learned back in 1970 while out at the Defense Language Institue. He agreed that to do that from the standing position is scary witout knowing the proper way to do it.
    I'd stick to Judo ukemi, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. old style jujitsu ukemi??? We did not practice or see this in Hawaii did we Roushiichi? Got my interst as to old school jujitsu...guessing you have an arm bar or a neck on the nagi?

    ReplyDelete