Friday, July 23, 2010

Gekisai dai Kata take II.

Rain here in New York. So I went to the dojo this morning for Kata Practice and I took my camera along to see if I could redo the Gekisai dai kata. I have learned that home made Video needs to be under 100MB and in the proper format. I know that avi. works for me. Now why video from the internet source does not have the same restrictions, I am not sure. I believe that these mysteries are as foreign and hidden as the Japanese Language is to me.

There was no one in the dojo this morning, years ago this would not have made me blink, but now days I always seem to have someone with me in the dojo. I wanted to do this last night at keiko but did not have the time. I worked on the Kihon Progression with a new karate-ka instead. In years past, I would have considered last nights practice a light workout. Two things now come to mind. First, I was wrong. Second, I still have poor kihon. I am sure that this is inpart due to the way I looked at kata and kihon. Get it done, so I can get to the important part of class, Kumite. Now with whiter and whiter hair, I am wishing that I was more concerted with kata and kihon. The way really comes about from teaching. You see, I never thought I would have a responsibility to instruct some one in karate. I never would have left my first karate, teacher! He stopped teaching which sent me on my way, searching. Now many of night I stop and say what do I know? I now know how important it is to have he basics to give to people. Roushiichi as taught me “Shoshin no moderu”…back to the basics. I know that there are many variation of this kata, that Roushiichi has already posted them for you to study. I have also learned there is no right or wrong way, and that we need to practice with conviction to our form of this kata. Yet, I would like to be critical of my dachi and te waza. I know that these will be needed so understand the oyou of the kata.

One question, as I watch this kata why the three chudan uchi uke. If we follow the rules of oyo...there should be a block and a counter.....why three blocks ( two in Goju). I am thinking that like Pinan sono ichi ( three jodan uke) maybe they are not blocks at all...then what are they?

Hope upload works, it took about 34 mins…


2 comments:

  1. Aloha Tony,
    Good to see that you can move better than I can! (^^)
    The mysteries of uploading homemade vids to the blog. I need to get my hands on an expert that can solve the mysteries once and for all. I think I saw something about uploading on to You Tube and then embedding into the blog. I’ll check it. Trial and error is the only way I know. (- -;)
    William, see if Furuya san’s brother can help us out. Or better yet, one of your lovely classmates I see on Face Book…..then recruit her into the Dojo. Gahahaha
    One word of caution on interpreting Kata. Do not get caught up on it! I have fallen into the same trap.
    A trap that we make ourselves because of our eagerness to learn.
    Take for instance, your question about why three consecutive uchi ukes.
    Combine the first two as one element. Combine the third with whatever movement follows.
    OR just think that each block is against a new attacker.
    The attack after the block is often not seen in the kata. That is an option used by the defender.

    My basis for interpretation of kata is
    1. The attacker is always in front.
    2. There is always a follow-up to a block. Some may be in the kata, others are options decided by the user.
    3. Waza should not be complicated. KISS
    Keep to short and simple.
    I have found that by sticking the above three, interpretation of kata becomes easier.
    OOPS. Got to take Yachi to see a client. More to follow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back from dropping Yachi off. It’s actually her day off but…..
    To the kata itself. First, some questions.
    1. Speed. Was it done slowly to emphasize the stances?
    2. Is your left leg in sanchin dachi in that position to relieve the pain from your back?
    3. It is hard to see but are the first two shiko dachi’s 180 degrees or did I notice an angle?
    Re: Speed. You must always keep in mind the speed in which a waza is effective. Therefore doing the kata in lower speed, while helping a beginner learn the steps, is negating the effectiveness of Kata.
    Herein lays the dilemma with typical Goju/Kyokushin katas where Sanchin breathing is implemented. Everything is becomes slower. But no one blocks an attack slowly. Neither do we just stand there and do ibuki or nogare in a real life situation. Always keep a balance with regard to speed when doing kata.
    When I do Seiunchin with Take, I always end up earlier than him. But that was the way I was taught the kata.

    RE: Sanchin stance. There are basically two sanchin stances; Heiko Sanchin where the toes of both feet are pointed forward and Sanchin where the front foot toes is pointed inwards while the back foot toe is forward. However there Dojos which teach having both feet toes pointing inward.
    I have been taught two ways as far as length between the feet is concerned.
    1. The front foot heel is line with the back foot toe.
    2. The front foot heel is lined up at about the halfway mark of the back foot.
    What is important regardless of length and width (normally shoulder width) is:
    1. You feel balanced and you are centered.
    2. You are able to squeeze your thighs (shiboru 絞る) and lift up your pelvis,
    I have also been taught to be able to squeeze a tennis ball between my knees in the sanchin stance.
    I have a very hard time with this as it makes movement difficult.
    Aside from yakusoku Kumite have you seen anyone do Jiyu Kumite in the sanchin stance? Or do we all fight in an adapted version of sanchin. Here we need to study the purpose of Sanchin.

    RE: Shikodachi. No big deal whether it’s angled or not. You may have just not placed your foot in the right place. I do it many times. (^^)
    I’ll try to upload a vid soon with help of Take and Yachi. I don’t know why but vids I took with the camera uploads fast, where as JVC video shots eternal. (**#)

    ReplyDelete