Saturday, August 21, 2010

一生事なきを以って第一とするなり戦を好むは道に非ず。中条流平法

"Issho kotonaki wo ette daiichi to surunari ikusa wo konomu ha michi ni arazu."

This precept is attributed to teachings of the Nakjo Style of Swordsmanship which is considered the oldest of Japanese swordsmanship. Nakajo Ryu eventually become known as Toda Ryu.  The founder of the Nakajo Ryu, was also a politician and poet who also studied Zen during the Kamakura Period and developed Nakajo Heiho (Nakajo Method of Reasoning) The style has a very interesting history which I leave the readers to Google on their own. (^^)
The precept roughly translated in my limited capability might go as " The foremost goal is to complete life without conflict, to seek conflict is not the path".  Transferred to Karate, I interpret this as "Should you go through life without using Karate then you have journeyed successfully".
Budo or martial arts should give us the capability of not fighting. Some of you may find this strange. But as you train you gain the confidence to protect yourself (physical and technical skills) but at the same time this confidence gives the mental awareness of being able to "see" and avoid conflict. Without confidence you cannot negotiate the hazards that we may come upon in life. Without confidence you only emotionally react to the hazards with physical skills. With confidence you are able to control your emotions and seek a better and safer resolution.
Those that only concentrate on physical skills become trapped in seeking only strength and lose sight of the true purpose of Budo.




4 comments:

  1. Konichiwa Roushiichi

    So much better put then when I wrote in my post "I should say the physical principles of karate does not make me saver, the mental principles and spiritual principles can make me measure my words; remain alert and respectful of my potential opponents. So hard to get my younger students to see this...they do find it strange. But to our younger ( and older students) Please understand this as the most important skill of street self defense... "As you train you gain the confidence to protect yourself (physical and technical skills) but at the same time this confidence gives the mental awareness of being able to "see" and avoid conflict." I think this is excellent point Roushiichi..

    I was looking to do a little research with my down time before bed. I have found much of the Toda Ryu , but not very little on the internet about the Nakjo Ryu. I know very little of sword work. Is it Toga Seigen, who has the colorful history??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember our discussion on Goshin jutsu, and the translation of these less than "real" conditions of combat?? Seem to me that your point made here, might be an excellent point to make about how we will react durning the actual attach. I remember that Honolulu Police Officer's post- interview, "I reacted as I was trained". Like to think then the training we do, would give us better altering skills too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony,
    As far as I know, Nakajo Ryu is the forerunner of Toda Ryu which is famouse for Sasaki Kojito who dueled with Miyamoto Musashi. It can also be traced to Ito Itosai of Itto Ryu.
    Will do some additional reseach.
    Our physical skills are our last resort and those skills will reflect how you train if you train at all. I think that is ongoing problem with some LE officers. They are just too tired at the end of the day to do any supplemental training. Unless you are on a walking beat you spend quite a bit of your shift in a car seat or at the office and not getting any physical.
    exercise. (^^) Donuts anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found a online site for "Budo the art of killing", while reading about the Toda Ryu. I remember you telling me about, but up to now, had not found it....older movie, but some excellent video....Long story short...I fell alseep!

    Will read more after bootcamp tonight...

    ReplyDelete