Tuesday, August 10, 2010

子供は親の背中を見て育つ。Kodomo wa oya no senaka wo mite sodatsu.

Hmmmmmm.

Kodomo was oya no senaka wo mite soidatu. Children grow up looking at their parents back. This may sound strange, as I cannot come up with a similar English proverb.  I think it is also true in our roles as martial arts instructors. Our students learn by our example.
Take for instant, Samu 作務the habit of cleaning the Dojo before and after training. The purpose is to show appreciation for the place in which we train and not to lose the "beginner's spirit". It is not enough for instructors to command students to clean, we must be leading by example. I go to the Dojo about 30 minutes before practice to sweep and mop the floor. The floor is a common use area in which people come in with their shoes on. It is fairly large and I am grateful I do not have to put away tables and chairs! (^^).  Every one has their own private schedules and I do not expect everyone to be able to come to the Dojo early, but when they do the students and their guardians participate in cleaning the Dojo.
I have one child whose grandmother brings him to class. She automatically offers to grab a mop and start mopping. The boy who is only 5 years old cannot handle he mop, but he looks for other ways to help clean the Dojo. I would like to think that he sees his grandmother and I cleaning, which causes him to to help clean the Dojo without having to be told. Of course, the attention span is short.... (^^)
On the other hand, wrongful behavior by instructors can set a bad example to follow. Vulgar language,
egotistical behavior, unnecessary roughness, and other negative attitudes and behavior can be easily mirrored by our students. That is not what we train our minds and bodies for. Negative attitudes and behavior should not be in Budo. Unfortunately they exists and it is our responsibility to guide our students to the correct path.
I recall back in the early 70's while stationed in Okinawa, a recently arrived co-worker had mentioned having practiced karate in the United States. I invited him to the Goju Ryu Dojo I was training at, but his response was shocking and sad; "I trained in XX style karate, the only real karate, this Okinawan karate is nothing and inferior to my style" I never the less invited him to come and take a look. His response was,
"My instructor told me that Okinawan karate was inferior and told me not to dirty my karate".
(**:) How sad indeed. A student following his instructor. I really felt sorry for him.

2 comments:

  1. Samu has become somewhat of a race in our dojo. We have wash cloths that are wet in warm water and the dojo is cleaned after practice. Most of our children love it, and ask to do it. Sempai Jim, has made it a "race", I am not sure the Okinawa, or Manland Japanese Senseis will approve, but the kids have fun with it. I have tried to explain that for some live in students (uchi deshi) that they might also sleep in the dojo, and thus cleaning was a matter of personal and common use hygiene. Sempai Russ and I still do the dust mop each night before practice, just like when we trained under Sensei Altumura, it has been almost 10 years since we stopped training us...old but very good habits.

    Kodomo wa oya no senaka wo mite soidatu. I like it, but like you can not come up with an english proverb like it..

    Working hard each day and night, not to be like they instructor of your friend..You studnets deserve better..

    ReplyDelete
  2. (^^)If the kids are having fun then great! We cannot expect them to understand all the details behind the Samu, nor should we. Everything has its natural course and there will come a time when the children put it all together and understand.
    Yes, you are correct in saying some Dojos may frown upon the children having "fun", but then they have to come to realize that not everything has to be done under strict and serious conditions. The Dojo does get cleaned.
    Ahh the days of the toothbrush and scrugging the barracks floor every night for inspection.
    Maybe that is why I like messy rooms! (^^)

    ReplyDelete