Thursday, August 19, 2010

人の手足を剣と思え"Hito no teashi wo ken to omoe"

     In Funakoshi Gichin Sensei's " The Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate", the 15th principle is "Hito no teasshi wo ken to omoe"; Think of the opponent' hands and feet as swords. A cursory review of this principle would probably be like "OK, so I need to practice so that the opponent doesn't touch me".
Not exactly wrong, but the core message is not to underestimate your opponent and do not get overconfident of your own skills. It is a mental principle vice technical principle.
     One of the basics in full contact type karate is that we condition our bodies for contact. Practice after practice we "abuse" our bodies to the point it would take a well placed punch or kick to get us down.
That type of conditioning has its merits. However in view of the Funakoshi Sensei's principle we need to ensure that we don't get over confident of how much punishment our bodies can take. If we venture on to competition,this is promulgated even further. How many matches have we seen were competitors stand head to head and pound away? Even worse, we see competitors deliberately allow his opponent to flay away in an effort to apply psychological pressure. Not a very good habit to have in real life.
Habits are hard to break. Even more so when you have considerable confidence in your pain threshold.
There is a famous story of a Jujitsu competitor who was accosted by a stranger. He quickly controlled the attacker with an arm bar, the attacker tapped out so the Jujitsuan released his hold as in competition.
He was immediately stabbed and had to get surgery.
Along with our physical and technical skills we must never forget our mental training. Do not let your skills make you water down your awareness and commitment to self preservation. Never underestimate an opponent.


2 comments:

  1. I have always tired to remember that as trouble occurs on the streets, that karate practice does not make me inherently saver. I should say the physical principles of karate does not make me saver, the mental principles and spiritual principles can make me measure my words; remain alert and respectful of my potential opponents.
    Don’t like war stories much, but he goes. It does make the point. On a Thanksgiving Patrol years ago, was called to a domestic. The male and female were with their family at the dinner table. The male has become physically abusive to the female, and had destroyed much of the meal. My partner and I removed the male as per the pro arrest policy. As we were leaving with the male, and wish members of the family a better rest of the day, a pan of hot turkey gravy came flying in the air. I had turned my back to the female part. A big mistake! The gravy and pan hit the outside of vest, and saved me the burn. Her reason for her action? She wanted us to just talk to him, not take him to jail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (^^)The perils of domestic feuds! I had my share of those! Yup, interesting how when you start to take the antagonist out, the better half goes bonkers and then you have two visiting the holding cell vice one!
    Love has no boundaries. Have a safe day!

    ReplyDelete