Friday, August 13, 2010

On Teaching

Kahil Gibran 18893-1931

     The Prophet by Kahil Gibran is one of my favorite books. Almost like a Bible to me. The first time I read the book was when I was 16 years old in High School. It had a impact on me and to this day I open its pages when I feel lost.
     Teaching is not an easy. The responsibility weighs heavy on our shoulders. One word or one action by us has the potential of changing lives. Hopefully the changes are for the better. I find myself critiquing myself after each practice. Did I communicate properly with the students and parents? Was the concept too early to introduce? Did I inadvertently set a wrong example by being too playful? On and on. It can become endless. On those endless occasions I pick up The Prophet and reflect on Gibran's words. Allow me to excerpt some of his thoughts.
No man can reveal to you aught but that already lies half asleep in the dawning of your knowledge.
The teacher who walks in the shadow of the temple, among his followers, gives not of his wisdom but rather his faith and lovingness.
If he is wise he does not bid you enter the house of his wisdom, but rather leads to to the threshold of your own mind.
The astronomer may speak to you of his understanding of space but he cannot give you his understanding.
The musician may sing to you of the rhythm which is in all space, but he cannot give you the ear which arrests the rhythm nor the voice that echoes it.
And he who is versed in the science of numbers can tell of the regions of weight and measure, but he cannot conduct you thither.
For the vision of one man lends not his wings to another man.
And even as each one of you stands alone in God's knowledge, so must each on of you be alone in his knowledge of God and in his understanding of the  earth.
I do not know why but I feel relaxed after reading his words every time. (^^)

2 comments:

  1. When I first spoke to you about the fear that I had to teach karate, asking what did I know that would be of value to the students. I never studied in Japan, You wrote of Kahlil Gibran and "The Prophet". I wrote down that night after reading all that I could find of the book in Google books..." A seeker of Silences am I, and what treasure have I found in silences that I may dispense with confidence?
    At times, I smile to myself Roushiichi and I wonder how long my book would be to the People of "Orphalese" or Mechanicville..What do I have to speak to their souls? I might be, just a little to hard on "teachers" these days...but I find many work very hard on looking like teachers, maybe the word is the methods of teaching..I think the catch phase these days is "best practices of teaching", but never get around to what they have that might be dispenced with confidence, that will move ones self within their soul?? I still spend most of my time look for what I might dispence with condicence...

    I found myself re reading much of his book tonight... it so does, leave me wanting to ask my own questions...relaxed, but with the confidence to at least ask the questions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. (^^) Copy Cat!!! Gahahahaha.
    What's the name of the spinach like leaf that is sticky like okra? It has been escaping my mind all day long and driving me crazy!
    I am constantly amazed with the human mind and how minds like Gibran, Millman, Spinoza, et al spin when minds like mine only wallow and stagnate. (**;) Fufu.
    I am gad that I made the acquaintance of these gentlemen and moved by their guiding words.

    ReplyDelete