Sunday, August 1, 2010

Literature



Literature is a good source for learning about different cultures. Summer vacation is an opportune time to dig into a book. Naturally, being able to read the book in its original language is the best, but alas many of us have not had the opportunity to study another language. We must rely on the translation.
I have a dream of mastering Chinese so that I can read the Chinese classics in its original form. I have slowly plodded along on in my Chinese studies. Luckily, Japanese also uses Chinese kanji so I can get a grasp of what the content is, but I can not gain the full flavor of the words.
I recall taking a translation course in which we had to translate a Japanese novel. I believe it was
Fumo Chitai by Yamazaki Toyoko. 不毛地帯 山崎豊子。The first chapter takes place in Osaka (not really sure if my memory is correct) so the dialogue is in Osaka dialect or Kansai Dialect. The dialect has its distinct flavor which is difficult to express in standard English just as it is muzukashii (difficult)  to express a Southern drawl in Standard Japanese. I would venture to say there will always be something that cannot be clearly translated.
What would Kesshinkai or Makiki Dojo recommend for reading to the kids in Japan ?
Likewise, what would Yokohama recommend for New York and Hawaii?
I could do this myself but this blog is for members of our Dojos. As such, I would love  to see our students take an active part. (^^)

PS: Feel free to leave comments!! This blog is for all Dojo members, gets lonely when the only comments are from Sensei Tony, Shihandai William and myself!! (^^) As much as I enjoy their comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment